GUI x Engine development: please listen to customers!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ponti

GUI x Engine development: please listen to customers!

Post by Ponti »

Well, as an amateur chess player I can´t win against most of the top engines, so I use them to analyse positions. Maybe chess masters only think about stronger engines, but us mere mortals don´t. I don´t care anymore if an engine is X times stronger than Fritz, because Fritz is much more stronger than me.

GUI, in my opinion, are not as well developed. There are plenty of features that could be improved... but we still see more and more new engines been developed, although they are weaker then the ones already in the market.

The best GUIs available do not change so much after each version (take for instance C.A., it does not change !). Why that happens ? Do companies listen to their customers or not ? C.B. seems to be also only interested in selling new engines and a few new features in each new version...
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Re: GUI x Engine development: please listen to customers!

Post by lucasart »

It's a shame cutechess developpement has stopped. This one was really on the right track.
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Ponti wrote:GUI, in my opinion, are not as well developed. There are plenty of features that could be improved...
Well, name some. If I was aware of any it would already have been done...
Henk

Post by Henk »

There is only one good solution write a GUI and an engine yourself. So if there is something wrong with it you can change it if you can. But problem is that it takes much time.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Open source is a solution where you don't have to write it yourself, but still can change what you want to work differently.
Henk

Post by Henk »

hgm wrote:Open source is a solution where you don't have to write it yourself, but still can change what you want to work differently.
I don't like any other people's code too.

Strange that there are so many technical discussions about engines and so few about GUI's.

Also it's easy to make mistakes in your data model when storing games in a database. Haven't seen any posts about that topic.
hgm

Post by hgm »

Well, it is a trade off. Either use other people's code to get the performance you want and be ready in a month, or put in some 10 man-years of development work yourself...
Henk

Post by Henk »

hgm wrote:Well, it is a trade off. Either use other people's code to get the performance you want and be ready in a month, or put in some 10 man-years of development work yourself...
The only reason why I work on this is keeping myself active. But problem is that you don't have time for other hobbies. Also chess becomes more boring the more time you spend on it.
hgm

Post by hgm »

There is nothing against keeping yourself active and achieve results at the same time.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Henk wrote: Also chess becomes more boring the more time you spend on it.
That has been absolutely true for me, which is why I hardly spend time on it these days.