Komodo 9 Announcement

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

Re: Komodo 9 Announcement

Post by fern »

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
Jimbo I

Post by Jimbo I »

Hi Larry,

I hope you can answer a quick question. Afaik, no free Komodo version has had an operable Limitstrength feature, and I don't even know if the current commercial releases have this feature. Have you completely given up on Limitstrength?
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Bearing in mind that LP is just a speedup and nothing more, you have to factor in the time it takes to set it up in the first place....
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Jimbo I wrote:Hi Larry,

I hope you can answer a quick question. Afaik, no free Komodo version has had an operable Limitstrength feature, and I don't even know if the current commercial releases have this feature. Have you completely given up on Limitstrength?
I wouldn't say we gave up on it, it is just low priority, because many GUIs already allow one to limit strength by setting fixed search depth. Admittedly that isn't the best way to do it as it tends to weaken the engine much more in the endgame than earlier, and also because it causes the engine to play a bit like a drunk grandmaster (positionally strong but with sporadic blunders). Maybe we'll add it as one of the updates in the next year.
Komodo rules!
rcmaddox
Full name: Robert C. Maddox

Post by rcmaddox »

lkaufman wrote:

I wouldn't say we gave up on it, it is just low priority, because many GUIs already allow one to limit strength by setting fixed search depth. Admittedly that isn't the best way to do it as it tends to weaken the engine much more in the endgame than earlier, and also because it causes the engine to play a bit like a drunk grandmaster (positionally strong but with sporadic blunders). Maybe we'll add it as one of the updates in the next year.
"Drunk Grandmaster" should be a setting for all engines, along with "Tipsy IM" and "Buzzed Expert."
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

rcmaddox wrote:
lkaufman wrote:

"Drunk Grandmaster" should be a setting for all engines, along with "Tipsy IM" and "Buzzed Expert."

The highest rated opponent I ever defeated in a tournament game was GM Jaan Ehlvest, in a World Open in the '90s, when we was rated over 2650 FIDE and over 2750 USCF. He appeared to have had too much to drink, and the result was probably related to that. So I have some personal experience with how a drunk GM plays.
Komodo rules!
Henk

Post by Henk »

lkaufman wrote:
rcmaddox wrote:
lkaufman wrote:

The highest rated opponent I ever defeated in a tournament game was GM Jaan Ehlvest, in a World Open in the '90s, when we was rated over 2650 FIDE and over 2750 USCF. He appeared to have had too much to drink, and the result was probably related to that. So I have some personal experience with how a drunk GM plays.
I only have experience with a drunk chess engine. Perhaps result of sleep drunk programming. At least never buy shares or options when you are not fully awake. But problem is that you don't realize that.
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

rcmaddox wrote:
lkaufman wrote:

http://wbec-ridderkerk.nl/html/details1 ... aster.html

Already tried. :lol:

Regards,
CL
Hurnavich

Post by Hurnavich »

Hi,

If one pays for the subscription service how would we be informed of a new update?as it could be days before i check in here will you inform by email?
"May your next game be your best"
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

Ian that's on the to-do list but hasn't been solved yet. Hopefully you'll be notified by email.