Komodo 9 Announcement

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mjlef

Re: Komodo 9 Announcement

Post by mjlef »

Sorry, but we do not have an update for the opening book.
RJN

Post by RJN »

mjlef wrote:Rob, we can look at this. I checked and Komodo does not clear the Hash when it gets a ucinewgame command. I think some earlier AArena version resend the Hash size to the engine everytime you close the engine settings dialog. And resizing the Hash (even the same size) does clear the Hash Table. But I think it is fixed in 3.5.

You can try using Arena 3.5. Hash is no longer in then Config screen by default. You have to access it via Engine Management - UCI where it is set under Common Hash Size. So as long as that option is checked, no hash clearing will happen when people just change some other parameter.

Which Arena do you have? They seem to have moved a few things like Hash and Threads to the Engine Management - UCI menu, although you can turn them off there and make them reappear in the Engine Configure dialog.
Mark, I am using Arena 3.5, but not using the common hash size setting. Maybe that is the problem for me.

I'm a bit busy, but will report back with more details when I get a chance to try using that option. However, it would then force all engine instances to use the same hash size, and I prefer to have multiple instances with various different engine options. Also, I had some bad experiences with the common hash option under Arena 3.0, when it would sometimes actually ignore it and go to the engine default. Since then I have been in the habit of not using common hash size setting.

Maybe a "never clear hash" is possible in the future, to guarantee the situation in all cases?

Thanks for the speedy reply, and congrats on another great version of Komodo.
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

RJN wrote:
mjlef wrote:Rob, we can look at this. I checked and Komodo does not clear the Hash when it gets a ucinewgame command. I think some earlier AArena version resend the Hash size to the engine everytime you close the engine settings dialog. And resizing the Hash (even the same size) does clear the Hash Table. But I think it is fixed in 3.5.

You can try using Arena 3.5. Hash is no longer in then Config screen by default. You have to access it via Engine Management - UCI where it is set under Common Hash Size. So as long as that option is checked, no hash clearing will happen when people just change some other parameter.

Which Arena do you have? They seem to have moved a few things like Hash and Threads to the Engine Management - UCI menu, although you can turn them off there and make them reappear in the Engine Configure dialog.
Mark, I am using Arena 3.5, but not using the common hash size setting. Maybe that is the problem for me.

I'm a bit busy, but will report back with more details when I get a chance to try using that option. However, it would then force all engine instances to use the same hash size, and I prefer to have multiple instances with various different engine options. Also, I had some bad experiences with the common hash option under Arena 3.0, when it would sometimes actually ignore it and go to the engine default. Since then I have been in the habit of not using common hash size setting.

Maybe a "never clear hash" is possible in the future, to guarantee the situation in all cases?

Use one of the Fritz versions...everything else sucks and is a waste of time.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
APassionForCriminalJustic

Post by APassionForCriminalJustic »

shrapnel wrote:
RJN wrote:

Use one of the Fritz versions...everything else sucks and is a waste of time.
Winboard 8b is also excellent. Arena is horrendous I agree.
JJJ

Post by JJJ »

I love arena :(
CositasBuenas

Post by CositasBuenas »

You could try scid (or svid vs pc).
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Got mine.
Looks good.
Keep up the good work.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

mjlef wrote:And resizing the Hash (even the same size) does clear the Hash Table.
Why do you do that? Although the UCI specs are not explicit about this, I think it is a mistake to clear when not necessary (i.e. when the size stays the same). A GUI that resends the hash size for every new game would be a perfectly valid UCI implementation. You should not use the Hash option as a kludge to clear the hash table; if this is a desired function a button option Clear Hash can be added. None of my engines touches the hash when they are asked to keep it at the same size.
rcmaddox
Full name: Robert C. Maddox

Post by rcmaddox »

I think the Komodo website might be losing a few sales by showing the K9 plus subscription price first ---->> http://komodochess.com/Komodo9-43a.htm

A prospective buyer might see the $99.97 and simply leave. Just a thought.