Impressive!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

melajara

Impressive!

Post by melajara »

16 Threads SMP regression test from current dev version over master i.e. SF6
ELO: 61.86 +-8.5 (95%) LOS: 100.0%
Total: 1504 W: 323 L: 58 D: 1123

Also, on one core
ELO: 22.05 +-1.8 (95%) LOS: 100.0%
Total: 39766 W: 6978 L: 4458 D: 28330

see http://tests.stockfishchess.org/tests

Would it be only for rating lists with high end machines, those +61Elo deserve an official 6.1 version IMHO

No wonder Komodo 9 is not out, even if Larry said in mid March that, from his point of view, he would be ready to roll it out for the end of March :oops:

I can't wait for the TCEC Season 8, with the promised HARDWARE UPDATE!
Per ardua ad astra
Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: Impressive!

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

melajara wrote:16 Threads SMP regression test from current dev version over master i.e. SF6

Also, on one core

Would it be only for rating lists with high end machines, those +61Elo deserve an official 6.1 version IMHO

No wonder Komodo 9 is not out, even if Larry said in mid March that, from his point of view, he would be ready to roll it out for the end of March :oops:

With such a monstrous improvement the Komodo team is simply forced to stay in the shadows until they can improve Komodo to level up with the latest Stockfish version....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
APassionForCriminalJustic

Post by APassionForCriminalJustic »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
melajara wrote:16 Threads SMP regression test from current dev version over master i.e. SF6

Also, on one core

With such a monstrous improvement the Komodo team is simply forced to stay in the shadows until they can improve Komodo to level up with the latest Stockfish version....
Dr.D
They aren't forced to stay in the shadows. Why should the release(s) of Komodo be based on the strength relative to Stockfish (most customers do not even have 16+ cores)? Based on what I've been told, Komodo 9 will be released relatively soon. Then we can begin doing some testing to see where K9 stands with the latest development version of Stockfish at 16+ cores.

Graham's latest tournament between Komodo and Stockfish development versions shows a very close match at 8 cores. Strength differences between these two engines cannot be that great.
kranium

Post by kranium »

Also, on one core

:shock:

+1
The improvement of Stockfish for the last couple years is an absolutely impressive accomplishment.
Despite procedural issues and occasional setbacks, it continues to move forward and IMO serves as a 'model' for software development and release testing.

These guys are doing an amazing job!
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:With such a monstrous improvement the Komodo team is simply forced to stay in the shadows until they can improve Komodo to level up with the latest Stockfish version....
Dr.D
Yes, Dr Deeb . I had predicted this in an earlier post.
Stockfish is updating too fast for poor Komodo Team to catch up...so much so that latest SF is now even beating Komodo in LTC games !
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote: With such a monstrous improvement the Komodo team is simply forced to stay in the shadows until they can improve Komodo to level up with the latest Stockfish version....
Dr.D
I think they are already there, or very nearly so.

Anyway, to most purchasers of Komodo, I don't think it really matters if it is -50 or +50 to Stockfish. They know they are getting a very strong engine that is different to Stockfish, and makes a good partner to Stockfish for analyses.
asanjuan

Post by asanjuan »

kranium wrote:

Also, on one core

:shock:

+1
The improvement of Stockfish for the last couple years is an absolutely impressive accomplishment.
Despite procedural issues and occasional setbacks, it continues to move forward and IMO serves as a 'model' for software development and release testing.

These guys are doing an amazing job!
+1 to your +1
Still learning how to play chess...
knigths move in "L" shape ¿right?
melajara

Post by melajara »

Yes, if only politics could be amenable to such quality via collective refinement of good laws for the people (and not for the law voters) :roll:
Per ardua ad astra
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

melajara wrote:Yes, if only politics could be amenable to such quality via collective refinement of good laws for the people (and not for the law voters) :roll:
Good luck finding a metric for measuring "goodness" of a law. And running 100000 fast tests to see if the law's effects are "good" or "bad" might prove difficult too. :wink:
melajara

Post by melajara »

It reminds me of an excellent relatively short novel I read once in one Galaxy issue perhaps 40 years ago, and that book was already worn-out. I guess the story was written in the sixties if not even before.

That story begins by the appointment of a new "god" from the point of view of a population of relatively "simple" people. Traditionally for that population, if the god was a good one, the citizens would prosper and the tenure would be without hiccups. But if the god proved very bad, he would be overthrown in a revolution and swiftly replaced.

The "god" actually was just a candidate to the highest public position possible, I don't remember if it was supposed to be in an already unified world or for being appointed President of one of the biggest countries, presumably the USA. And the population actually was a clever artificial life community (yes, it was written in the sixties or before) living an accelerated life inasmuch as years for them were only hours to the god/candidate.

All the process was indeed somewhat ethical as the candidate, when failing and being the direct cause of suffering for the population, was really electrocuted by the sum of all the negative energy radiated back to him by the angry "citizens". So the examination was pass and be elected or fail with a possible death penalty!

Say this to all the irresponsible and UNACCOUNTABLE highest political representatives once they are elected, all those greedy and corrupt LIARS!

I would be very happy to be told the author and title of this novel to be able to read it once again.
Per ardua ad astra