Leo Dijksman (WBEC) deceased

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

MikeB

Re: Leo Dijksman (WBEC) deceased

Post by MikeB »

Rest in peace my friend.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Very sad to hear that.
Leo was a big inspiration for me.
Dan Honeycutt

Post by Dan Honeycutt »

Sad news.

Send your engine to Leo after testing for every misbehavior you could think of and within a few days he'd tell you what you missed.

Best
Dan H.
El Gringo

Post by El Gringo »

i am very sadly too Frank,

We met him In leiden at the Dutch Computer Championship in 2003 when we were operating Ruffian.

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Hi,

I am very sadly.

Leo Dijksmann worked many years on my older Winboard page I gave to Thomas Meyer after available Winboard engine 100 and after a short time Thomas gave it to Leo. At this time I gave Leo the rest of this page with all downloads, cc-calendar other things. The winboard site Volker Pittlik and myself created in Winboard times (Volker made later WB Forum only) was a very important work for the community. Houndrets of People (more thousands of people helps), same for Arena later. Around 1.500 - 2.000 different views daily the page had. Leo made things better I do in the past and works with energy on it ... again ... over a very long time.

Leo have fun with his own tourneys and with all the contacts to amateur programmers and of course in testing engines. I am sure he gave also moe as 1.000 error messages to amateur programmers. With Leo and Johan Havegheer (Ruffian test team) we won a tournament in Leiden, I believe 2003. Here also, Leo helps! All the time Leo helps.

I believe 1996 or 1997 I had spoken at first with Leo in personality in Leiden (The Netherlands). At this time Leo was a big fan from the work we do around Winboard and he gave the information that he would like to help us.

Help?
He do it alone much better and I visiting each day the news on his page. Each time I am up to date with engine news over so many years.

Latest contact to him I believe I had around 2006 or 2007.

For the community Leo Dijksman do more as a very big contribution only. He hold the contact to many amateurs, helps a lot to different topics. Leo was one of the first Winboarder ...

A very friendly person, each time, to each topic!
In cases of different opinions between Leo and myself we discuss on a very high level.

Really sad news. I hear about it today in the morning. A bad day for me (thinking over the day again and again on Leo) but I am sure that all which have contacts to him hold Leo in memory.

Sorry for my bad English in this case!

Best
Frank
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Really sad. Rest in peace.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Maybe it is worth noting that the original announcement was posted in early March of this year.
Dayffd

Post by Dayffd »

Sad news. R.I.P.
David S.
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Johan,

yes, it was really a nice time.
Leo was very proud (you too) to hold the cup in the hand.

I am thinking the right persons hold it after all that what they do ... not for Ruffian ... for computerchesss (of course for Ruffian too).

Best
Frank
fern

Post by fern »

What a bad couple of years these has been!
Too many friends of all us has gone.
Now this one...
as the others, he will be missed.
Good dreams, prince...

Fern
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

Sad news. I hope he is in a better place. Leo was always happy to hear of a new version and quick to advertise it. Very nice person for me to interact with. Condolences to his family.