Leo Dijksman (WBEC) deceased

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Evert

Re: Leo Dijksman (WBEC) deceased

Post by Evert »

I never really knew him (I guess I'm relatively late to the scene), but the many links that point back to his website still show the impact he has had. Condolences to his family and friends.

Regarding the website: is anyone archiving it? It seems odd that you can build up something like that, but then once you die, with one press of a button, it's gone forever. I suppose there's always archive.org, but it's just not the same...
cdani

Post by cdani »

Evert wrote:I never really knew him (I guess I'm relatively late to the scene), but the many links that point back to his website still show the impact he has had. Condolences to his family and friends.
+1
Bloodbane

Post by Bloodbane »

Evert wrote:I never really knew him (I guess I'm relatively late to the scene), but the many links that point back to his website still show the impact he has had. Condolences to his family and friends.

Regarding the website: is anyone archiving it? It seems odd that you can build up something like that, but then once you die, with one press of a button, it's gone forever. I suppose there's always archive.org, but it's just not the same...
My feelings exactly.
Functional programming combines the flexibility and power of abstract mathematics with the intuitive clarity of abstract mathematics.
https://github.com/mAarnos
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

Descanse en paz y que su Dios lo tenga en su gloria.
R.I.P.
jefk
Full name: Jef Kaan

Post by jefk »

also my condolescences

jef
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Leo was a big inspiration for computerchess.
We certainly had some fun years in what seemed the golden times
of computerchess in hindsight.
It is hard to accept he is gone now. Farewell Leo and all the best to his family.

Guenther
fern

Post by fern »

What a sad new...It will be weird to continue this passion of chess computers without him and his site.

Fern
PaulieD

Post by PaulieD »

He was a veteran amongst veterans. His contributions were substantial and consistent.
May he RIP
Thank you Leo for your outstanding contributions to computer chess where ever you may be.
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

hgm wrote:I just read a very sad message on WinBoard forum, and I did not notice it was mentioned here. (Sorry if I somehow missed it.)

Leo Dijksman, former organizer of one of the highest quality engine competitions ever for many years, (WBEC Ridderkerk, or "WinBoard Engine Competition"), has finally succumbed to the terminal disease he was suffering from these past years.
Very sad - ever since Leo discontinued his regular updates, I'd been worried this day was coming. :( He did such a great job with his tournaments and website, he'll be long remembered!

May he rest in peace.

Sincerest condolences,
CL
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

Sad news, I really appreciated his work.

A. Ponti
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931