Leo Dijksman (WBEC) deceased

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Adam Hair

Re: Leo Dijksman (WBEC) deceased

Post by Adam Hair »

I never had any correspondence with Leo, yet he still had a big influence on me. 6 years ago, I was searching on the internet for a free chess program to play against. I knew nothing about computer chess, but I figured that there must be something available (I found Crafty and WinBoard packaged together). I came across WBEC and was fascinated about the idea of chess engines competing against each other. Because of WBEC (and CCRL), I set as a goal to build two computers so that I could test engines. And while I was waiting for the money for those computers to become available, I downloaded all the engines that Leo had links for. Without Leo, I may not have become a computer chess fanatic and corresponded with some great people.

Thanks, Leo. Rest in peace.
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Post by Sven »

When I started to visit computer chess sites in 2003/2004 the Winboard Forum and WBEC Ridderkerk were my two favourite sites. Leo's WBEC tournaments were the first competitions for my first "real" chess engine. Leo was very friendly to me, as to everyone else. He played tournaments for amateur programs but world class engines were participating there as well.

R.I.P. Leo, you will be missed a lot. Thanks for your great work and for sharing your hobby with us.
Stan Arts

Post by Stan Arts »

Sad news and big loss.

When I got started in computerchess Leo Dijksman has been very helpful and kind to me. Hosting my programs on his site, countless tests and a friendly word with every release.

His WBEC tournaments where the main point of reference in what could be called the golden age of Winboard engines.
supersharp77

Re: Leo Dijksman (WBEC) deceased RIP.....

Post by supersharp77 »

A great man and a fantastic web site..........what a loss for the world of chess
blessings to him and condolences to his family.......RIP.... AR :cry: :cry:

ps. I am sure my first chess engine downloads primarily came from his site...
Marek Soszynski

Re: Leo Dijksman (WBEC) deceased RIP.....

Post by Marek Soszynski »

supersharp77 wrote:I am sure my first chess engine downloads primarily came from his site...
Probably mine too.

Condolences to all concerned.
Marek Soszynski
gerold

Post by gerold »

Thanks for the post H.G.]

Downloaded many engines from his site over the years.

RIP. Leo.

Best,
Gerold.
sedicla
Full name: Alcides Schulz

Post by sedicla »

Part of my motivation to write a chess engine come from his website.
RIP
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

hgm wrote:I just read a very sad message on WinBoard forum, and I did not notice it was mentioned here. (Sorry if I somehow missed it.)

Leo Dijksman, former organizer of one of the highest quality engine competitions ever for many years, (WBEC Ridderkerk, or "WinBoard Engine Competition"), has finally succumbed to the terminal disease he was suffering from these past years.

I have no words.

Farewell my friend.

(See you) Later.
Daniel Anulliero

Post by Daniel Anulliero »

Wbec was the first site I sent my small engine...
Good bye Leo
Condoléances to the family
So , sad Day
tpetzke

Post by tpetzke »

His tournament was one of the first my engine was allowed to participate. It was a nice experience and motivated me to keep going.

RIP Leo.
Thomas...

=======
http://macechess.blogspot.com - iCE Chess Engine