Leo Dijksman (WBEC) deceased

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Christopher Conkie

Re: Leo Dijksman (WBEC) deceased

Post by Christopher Conkie »

hgm wrote:I just read a very sad message on WinBoard forum, and I did not notice it was mentioned here. (Sorry if I somehow missed it.)

Leo Dijksman, former organizer of one of the highest quality engine competitions ever for many years, (WBEC Ridderkerk, or "WinBoard Engine Competition"), has finally succumbed to the terminal disease he was suffering from these past years.
Everyone should carry on his legacy. He was an upright person and a contributor of the positive kind without parallel.

I drove past Ridderkerk the other day and that place will always be synonymous to me with Leo.

Just an all round nice guy.

:)
Peter Aloysius

Post by Peter Aloysius »

I am so sad to hear about Leo.

My chess engine used to play in his 1st division and I always waited for the result with great anticipation. His site also served as a great portal for any chess engine related information and updates
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

I´m sorry to read this too. He made a great site dedicated to computer chess, it was one of my favourites.
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Peter Aloysius wrote:I am so sad to hear about Leo.

My chess engine used to play in his 1st division and I always waited for the result with great anticipation. His site also served as a great portal for any chess engine related information and updates
Hi Peter.

I used to visit Leo's site every day. He contributed much to our hobby over a long number of years.

Just out of interest, are you still working on your engine?

Regards,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Peter Aloysius

Post by Peter Aloysius »

Graham Banks wrote:
Peter Aloysius wrote:I am so sad to hear about Leo.

Hi Peter.

I used to visit Leo's site every day. He contributed much to our hobby over a long number of years.

Just out of interest, are you still working on your engine?

Regards,
Graham.
Hi Graham,

nope. Last time I was working on it was on 2007. My professional life takes much of my time now, beside it is not as fun as it used to be.