zurichess appenzeller - new version

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

brtzsnr

zurichess appenzeller - new version

Post by brtzsnr »

Hello,

I released a new version of my engine, zurichess. The source code can be accessed at the usual place https://bitbucket.org/brtzsnr/zurichess ... ppenzeller. Linux and Windows binaries for amd64 and 386 can be downloaded from https://bitbucket.org/brtzsnr/zurichess/downloads.

The new version is about 80-100 ELO stronger. Compared to zurichess aargau and Stockfish Skill Level 6 at 40/60+0.20 and 512MiB of hash table:

Code: Select all

Rank Name                    Elo    +    - games score oppo. draws 
   1 zurichess-appenzeller    69   19   18   460   65%   -34   30% 
   2 zurichess-aargau        -17   24   24   260   39%    55   33% 
   3 stockfish6              -52   25   26   260   35%    59   22%
Please use the new version if you maintain a computer chess rating list.
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: zurichess appenzeller - new version

Post by Sylwy »

THANK YOU, Alex !

SilvianR :wink:
Alex_Schmidt

Post by Alex_Schmidt »

Hi Alexandru,

Thanks for the new version! In a short test with game level "x seconds per move" I've noticed that the engine moves almost immediately (<1 second calculation time per move, no exceptions) although I've defined 5s and in another game 10s per move.

Thanks, Alex
brtzsnr

Post by brtzsnr »

I many cases that expected. Time control is not very good yet so zurichess very conservative.

The engine estimates the time for each depth as previous-depth-time * branching-factor where branching factor depends on the number of pieces on the table (I use logN). So if you have 30 pieces and 5 seconds left zurichess will not search a new depth if 1s has already passed.

I did some changes after the last online blitz tournament which gave an ELO improvement of about 20.
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re:My test

Post by Sylwy »