Shredder-Chess-Engine will be updated

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sean Evans

Re: Shredder-Chess-Engine will be updated

Post by Sean Evans »

Henryval wrote:Your comment is not really helpful. Why you don't use your time to work on your ipon-list?
Joe, Shredder was a World Champion program several years ago. The programmer chose to no longer update his program to make it strong enough to compete with the Tier 1 programs. Now his program should be selling for approximately $10 in the Walmart bargain-bin. The same thing has happened with many formerly great programs. It was their choice.

Cordially,

Sean
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

fern wrote:It does not matter how far behind you are; if you get some powerful ideas you can jump to the first places, being irrelevant how many intermediate post you jumped over.
I hope it will be so.
I do not believe Stefan will come with something just to improve a little his current position.

But all its to be seen
Fern
Makes sense to me. He not going to come back after 5 years and tell the world, "I made a 50 elo improvement from last version."
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Henryval

Post by Henryval »

That's right, Sean. But Shredder ist still a really nice playing chessprogram (even for beginners) and also the GUI is still one of the best.

And i wish SMK good luck when he is going to update his program. i'm pretty sure we will find it in the top 10. later on, SMK promised, the GUI will also have an update. aren't that good news?
Don't let Your tricky mind kick You out of paradise!
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Henryval wrote:That's right, Sean. But Shredder ist still a really nice playing chessprogram (even for beginners) and also the GUI is still one of the best.

And i wish SMK good luck when he is going to update his program. i'm pretty sure we will find it in the top 10. later on, SMK promised, the GUI will also have an update. aren't that good news?
I use the Chessbase GUI, so it has no effect on me. I have Shredder 12 and when I tested it against Rybka 4 years ago, Shredder was demolished. Humans only use engines for analysis now, except for a small percentage that have computer tournaments. So are you going to use SF6 for free or pay US$50 for a Tier 2 Walmart bargain-bin program? Take a guess!

Cordially,

Sean
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

Sean Evans wrote:
Henryval wrote:That's right, Sean. But Shredder ist still a really nice playing chessprogram (even for beginners) and also the GUI is still one of the best.

I use the Chessbase GUI, so it has no effect on me. I have Shredder 12 and when I tested it against Rybka 4 years ago, Shredder was demolished. Humans only use engines for analysis now, except for a small percentage that have computer tournaments. So are you going to use SF6 for free or pay US$50 for a Tier 2 Walmart bargain-bin program? Take a guess!

Cordially,

Sean
:lol:
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
IWB

Post by IWB »

Henryval wrote:Your comment is not really helpful. Why you don't use your time to work on your ipon-list?
Please specify what exacly wasn't helpfull:

1. My mild critic about quoting from private emails or
2. Me correcting your wrong translation?

Point one is not ment to be helpfull, it is a statement, point 2 I think is, as it is a better translation I think.

Thanks for the hint regarding my list I am happy you like it, but I do already enough there and had some time left to correct you.

Ingo
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Hello Henry or Joe :),

Ingo is I think explaining that your interpretation of the e-mail as you report it, seems a bit too optimistic. As far as I know Ingo was a long time tester for Stefan Meyer-Kahlen and maybe still is. If there is a new Shredder ready for testing I am sure he would be in the know. By the way, German not a strongpoint exactly but I would translate
ich arbeite gerade an der Shredder-Engine. Wir wollen erst eine neue Version veröffentlichen, wenn diese signifikante besser ist als die alte. Da ist es immer schwer, einen genau Zeitplan zu geben. Es geht aber auf jeden Fall voran.
as something like "I am currently working on the Shredder engine. We want to release a new version only if it is significantly better as the old."

Hence Ingo's caveat.

Eelco
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
BBauer

Post by BBauer »

Here the google translation of the german text.
Hello Mr Boden,

I'm working on the Shredder engine. We first want to publish a new version if it is significantly better than the old one. Since it is always difficult to give an exact schedule. But progress in any case.
Bernhard
styx

Post by styx »

this is good news! I'd love to see a new version :)
royb

Post by royb »

styx wrote:this is good news! I'd love to see a new version :)
Me too, especially for the iPad (where I play the most chess these days).