Shredder-Chess-Engine will be updated

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Henryval

Shredder-Chess-Engine will be updated

Post by Henryval »

As Stefan Meyer-Kahlen wrote me: he is still working on his famous chess engine Shredder. And this Engine will be updated, he said. Sooner or later so to say, but in the moment he is really working on it.
Hallo Herr Boden,

ich arbeite gerade an der Shredder-Engine. Wir wollen erst eine neue Version veröffentlichen, wenn diese signifikante besser ist als die alte. Da ist es immer schwer, einen genau Zeitplan zu geben. Es geht aber auf jeden Fall voran.
Don't let Your tricky mind kick You out of paradise!
Sean Evans

Re: Shredder-Chess-Engine will be updated

Post by Sean Evans »

Henryval wrote:As Stefan Meyer-Kahlen wrote me: he is still working on his famous chess engine Shredder. And this Engine will be updated, he said. Sooner or later so to say, but in the moment he is really working on it.
Hallo Herr Boden,

ich arbeite gerade an der Shredder-Engine. Wir wollen erst eine neue Version veröffentlichen, wenn diese signifikante besser ist als die alte. Da ist es immer schwer, einen genau Zeitplan zu geben. Es geht aber auf jeden Fall voran.
Shredder is so far out of the picture now that it would take a miracle to move from the tier-two programs to the tier-one programs, i.e. SF6 and K8 :P

Sean
fern

Post by fern »

It does not matter how far behind you are; if you get some powerful ideas you can jump to the first places, being irrelevant how many intermediate post you jumped over.
I hope it will be so.
I do not believe Stefan will come with something just to improve a little his current position.

But all its to be seen
Fern
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Fernando,

I had contacts with him for around three years. At this time he is working on his GUI. I am sure Stefan find out ... before I released all that he have for around 3 years ... that to work on the own chess server is more important. The work he do on the GUI are used for the bigger task (I believe the view from him, not sure).

If we are looking in official games from Shredder engine since Version 12.0 I can't see big jumpings for the engine. But Shredder 12 is now very old and each time Stefan released with innovative new ideas.

The next Shredder can be very interesting. GUI is old but on a very high level. What he told me for around three years looks like very interesting.
Engine is old and king safty is bad if we compare with more modern engines today. Elo isn't the goal alone!

+ 125 Elo and Shredder is under the TOP-8 again (without Rybka and Houdini from my view).

Could be possible!
I wish him good luck!

Best
Frank
Robert Flesher

Post by Robert Flesher »

fern wrote:It does not matter how far behind you are; if you get some powerful ideas you can jump to the first places, being irrelevant how many intermediate post you jumped over.
I hope it will be so.
I do not believe Stefan will come with something just to improve a little his current position.

But all its to be seen
Fern

+1

I agree! However, I will purchase the next Shredder as I have purchased every version prior. Stephan will receive my support as his prior engines provided me many years of enjoyment.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Henryval wrote:As Stefan Meyer-Kahlen wrote me: he is still working on his famous chess engine Shredder. And this Engine will be updated, he said. Sooner or later so to say, but in the moment he is really working on it.
That is really good to hear. Looking forward to the new Shredder, whenever that may be.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
fern

Post by fern »

I will do the same for the same reasons as you. Sh is, to begin with, the GUI I use to run every program.
I also support Hiarcs. Great program.

Fern
IWB

Post by IWB »

Hallo Herr Boden,

I dont know what to think about releasing emails, but the term "update" is never mentioned in that quote. I'll give my best to do it properly:
"I am working on the new Shredder-Engine. We want to release a new version as soon as it is significantly better than the old [Shredder]. With this, it is hard to give an exact schedule. But, there is progress."
Just for those who thought about an "update".

Ingo
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

Agree with Frank Q........love the Shredder Chess program(along with Rebel 1.2 and Toga II were my very first uci engines (beating up on my beloved Fritz 6 and Junior 7 and Chessmaster 6000 engines in the Chesspartner gui)........a strong tactical engine but he needs 125-150 elo to catch up with the Stockfishes ruling the chess engine world (and komodo?).......Good luck to him!! AAR :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frank Quisinsky

Location: Trier, Germany Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:41 pm Post subject: Re: Shredder-Chess-Engine will be updated

Hi Fernando,

I had contacts with him for around three years. At this time he is working on his GUI. I am sure Stefan find out ... before I released all that he have for around 3 years ... that to work on the own chess server is more important. The work he do on the GUI are used for the bigger task (I believe the view from him, not sure).

If we are looking in official games from Shredder engine since Version 12.0 I can't see big jumpings for the engine. But Shredder 12 is now very old and each time Stefan released with innovative new ideas.

The next Shredder can be very interesting. GUI is old but on a very high level. What he told me for around three years looks like very interesting.
Engine is old and king safty is bad if we compare with more modern engines today. Elo isn't the goal alone!

+ 125 Elo and Shredder is under the TOP-8 again (without Rybka and Houdini from my view).

Could be possible!
I wish him good luck!

Best
Frank
Henryval

Post by Henryval »

Your comment is not really helpful. Why you don't use your time to work on your ipon-list?
Don't let Your tricky mind kick You out of paradise!