looking for really professional statistic-tools

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Henryval

looking for really professional statistic-tools

Post by Henryval »

i am looking for really professional statistic-tools to generate statistics from pgn.databases. i expect results by klicking on a button and that's it. now i am using arena and scid. i own chessbase 12 but find it not usefull for my purposes.

any advice out there chessfriends?
Don't let Your tricky mind kick You out of paradise!
Ferdy

Re: looking for really professional statistic-tools

Post by Ferdy »

Henryval wrote:i am looking for really professional statistic-tools to generate statistics from pgn.databases. i expect results by klicking on a button and that's it. now i am using arena and scid. i own chessbase 12 but find it not usefull for my purposes.

any advice out there chessfriends?
It is far from really professional yet :), select pgn, press generate then ordo will run then display the result to a textbox, that's it.

Henryval

Post by Henryval »

thanks ferdy.

i am looking for a tool that is able to show me for example games with pawnstorm, pawns on the 7th row and bishopsacrifices on the kingside and a short winning for white with max. 40 moves.

is a tool out there to handle those requests?
tpetzke

Post by tpetzke »

i expect results by klicking on a button.
i am looking for a tool that is able to show me for example games with pawnstorm, pawns on the 7th row and bishopsacrifices on the kingside and a short winning for white with max. 40 moves.

You mean with a button that is labeled "Do what I think" ? My experience is that the tool that best suits ones needs is the one that you write yourself. Especially if you want it to fulfill very specific tasks by the click of a button.

Thomas...
Thomas...

=======
http://macechess.blogspot.com - iCE Chess Engine
Henryval

Post by Henryval »

maybe you are right, thomas. but i am not a programmer. i am a customer, willing to pay for a program that fullfill my needs.

i wonder why such a program is not already on the market
jorose
Full name: Jonathan Rosenthal

Post by jorose »

Part of the problem is what your describing is also to a certain degree abstract. However if you learn to use tags correctly then this pgn parser will allow you to extract pgns with containing positions with pieces on specific squares (so white bishop on h7 for example) as well as other little characteristics. Once you've extracted those games then you could run a statistics program such as ordo to extract more information.

It's not the cleanest, fastest or touch of a button solution but it's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head without programming something myself.
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

Strange that you will not find Chessbase 12 necessary.

In the menu is Filter List, and in the dialog box, we Position, Material and Maneuvers among other things, this is a powerful tool.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Henryval wrote:thanks ferdy.

is a tool out there to handle those requests?
1. Pawn storm
2. pawn on 7th rank
3. bishop sacrifices on king-side
4. short winning for white with max 40 moves

Those are possible, do you want to see a pgn of pawn storm only? no (2), no (3) and no (4).
Or do you want a pgn of only (2), no (1), no (3) and no (4)?
Or you want all of them to be present in a game and saved in one pgn file? Or maybe you want only 3 and 4?
1, 2, and 4 are easy, 3 needs more thought, perhaps Bxh6, or Bxf7, Bxg7, Bxh7 and maybe others.

You can add more request that is very simple.

jorose
Full name: Jonathan Rosenthal

Post by jorose »

Since CB has been insistent on not releasing their products for non-windows platforms and they also don't have open formats I have ceased to recommend their products. I used to use them myself, but for all the functions I personally use I have found alternative, usually more stable, applications that do exactly what I need without having to restart my computer into an inferior operating system.
Henryval

Post by Henryval »

where is this tool to download?