Sting-sf-48 release

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Dann Corbit, hgm

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Dann Corbit
Posts: 11705
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:57 pm
Location: Redmond, WA USA
Contact:

Re: Sting-sf-48 release

Post by Dann Corbit » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:50 am

Damir wrote:Hi Dann

I just tried the 64 bits compile, and noticed that Sting time management is very bad. It just lost the game on time in completely won position. Can Sting time managemnt be improved, so it doesn't lose games on time ?
I imagine it would not be too difficult.

Sting time management code is probably roughly compatible with current Stockfish, so Stockfish time management could be transplanted.

Damir
Posts: 2451
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:53 pm
Location: Denmark
Full name: Damir Desevac

Re: Sting-sf-48 release

Post by Damir » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:08 pm

I am trying to run a match vs other engines and am not interested to use this engine for analyzing. There are many other engines who are much stronger than Sting who I use to analyze my games. I am interested to see how this engine performs vs other engines.

lech
Posts: 1082
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:02 pm

Re: Sting-sf-48 release

Post by lech » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:12 pm

Thank you Dann for your efforts.
Indeed now Sting is able to find the best move leading to fortress, but it does not return value draw in such positions.
The exception described by you (8/p7/qkpN1p2/8/1B1P4/PP3K2/5P2/8/ w - -) regards zugzwang position and why Sting returns Value ZERO it may be only a bug. I will take a look at this.
Indded, Now I see that there is a bug, probably in very highly scored (+ or -) positions.
I wiil prepare the version.

Damir, It is a fact, that Sting does'nt like terminated time menagment.
Thank you for information. :D
Maybe, I can't be friendly, but let me be useful.

lech
Posts: 1082
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:02 pm

Re: Sting-sf-48 release

Post by lech » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:37 pm

I should wake up! Sorry, I dont see any bug in Sting-sf-481 at this moment.

Frank, maybe, it would be good to see Sting in your works, I can't help you in decision too. :D

I have clear hands, and other too?
Maybe, I can't be friendly, but let me be useful.

Damir
Posts: 2451
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:53 pm
Location: Denmark
Full name: Damir Desevac

Re: Sting-sf-48 release

Post by Damir » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:56 pm

Many thanks for all your hard work Marek. I hope with Dann's help you can make your engine much stronger in the future.

lech
Posts: 1082
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:02 pm

Re: Sting-sf-48 release

Post by lech » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:23 pm

I am asked to join Sting's ideas with newest Stockfish.

My answer:

Just something is valuable when was stolen. :lol:

Seriously, I respect authors of Stockfish and I am far to do it whenever.
My project should join not divide.

BTW. It is a fact, I am very tired.
Maybe, I can't be friendly, but let me be useful.

User avatar
velmarin
Posts: 1600
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:48 am

Re: Sting-sf-48 release

Post by velmarin » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:36 pm

lech wrote:I am asked to join Sting's ideas with newest Stockfish.
My answer:
Just something is valuable when was stolen. :lol:
Seriously, I respect authors of Stockfish and I am far to do it whenever.
My project should join not divide.
BTW. It is a fact, I am very tired.
According force prevailing knowledge among fans.
The rating numbers mark the way.

It is forgivable. But it is interesting to see if their progress can give increased strength, however small.
It is interesting to try.
A pity you do not document your code or distinguish your changes.
Everything can try, is very interesting. :D :D

lech
Posts: 1082
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:02 pm

Re: Sting-sf-48 release

Post by lech » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:59 pm

velmarin wrote:
lech wrote:I am asked to join Sting's ideas with newest Stockfish.
My answer:
Just something is valuable when was stolen. :lol:
Seriously, I respect authors of Stockfish and I am far to do it whenever.
My project should join not divide.
BTW. It is a fact, I am very tired.
According force prevailing knowledge among fans.
The rating numbers mark the way.

It is forgivable. But it is interesting to see if their progress can give increased strength, however small.
It is interesting to try.
A pity you do not document your code or distinguish your changes.
Everything can try, is very interesting. :D :D
Jose, the code of Stockfish's 2.1.1 is available on Stockfish's www page. There are many tools to display differences in failes. :?
Maybe, I can't be friendly, but let me be useful.

User avatar
velmarin
Posts: 1600
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:48 am

Re: Sting-sf-48 release

Post by velmarin » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:13 pm

lech wrote: Jose, the code of Stockfish's 2.1.1 is available on Stockfish's www page. There are many tools to display differences in failes. :?
If you already had the code 2.1.1, I do executables with the same conditions for both solutions and provide anyone.

Then I try to move your code to stock_6.
I have space in my time.

ernest
Posts: 1923
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:30 pm

Re: Sting-sf-48 release

Post by ernest » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:22 pm

Dann Corbit wrote:Look in the src folder.
OK thanks ! 8-)

Post Reply