Taipan 1.0 - an extremely strong chess engine

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mcostalba

Re: Taipan 1.0 - an extremely strong chess engine

Post by mcostalba »

lucasart wrote:
mcostalba wrote:
lucasart wrote:

Code: Select all

option name Strength type spin default 200 min 0 max 200
He renamed Skill Level into "Strength" and rescaled it by 10.
Well, this one is not bad. Indeed "Strength" or perhaps "Strength Level "seems to me a nicer name than "Skill Level"....perhaps we should adopt it...
Instead, what would be more interesting is to replace this skill level by the standard UCI_LimitStrength and UCI_Elo. We need to do some measure of the skill levels, and come up with a scaling function that translates them into elo and vice versa.
The measure of relative strenght has already been done (see test history): there is about 100 ELO difference between one skill level and the next, indipendently from the hardware and TC, at least until level 10 or something.

What is more difficult is compare to human ELO simply because human ELO is computed in a much more unreliable and random way: even if you ask someone to play 1000 games vs SF at level 1, he will not be constant during the games and also his ELO level is grossely approximated, say +-100 ELO.
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

Possibly the same person "released" his engine Laznik 1.7 at the Rybka forum.
Joerg Oster

Post by Joerg Oster »

Adam Hair wrote:Possibly the same person "released" his engine Laznik 1.7 at the Rybka forum.
OMG, you're right.
Some people really need to grow up. :roll:
Jörg Oster
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Joerg Oster wrote:
Adam Hair wrote:Possibly the same person "released" his engine Laznik 1.7 at the Rybka forum.
OMG, you're right.
Some people really need to grow up. :roll:
And here too - http://www.chess2u.com/t9357-laznik-1-7 ... iful-chess
gbanksnz at gmail.com
johnwbyrd

Re: Taipan 1.0 - an extremely derivative chess engine

Post by johnwbyrd »

Reminds me of Tom Kerrigan's hall of shame.

I always wonder why lesser programmers think that mere compilation of source code is like encryption. It's not. With enough time and effort it's possible to figure out the source code to any program.

Compilation didn't save Vasik Rajlich either.
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

In the golden years of chess engines each creator had his own style and he used his own techniques and it took years of hard work to make a strong engine. Nowadays some makes an engine in less than a year or faster and it's 3100 +. I would say an extremely high percentage of them have "learned" from the latest source codes.

Komodo,crafty,Junior,HIARCS and many others have held their integrity and there are many others so forgive me.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
op12no2
Full name: Colin Jenkins

Post by op12no2 »

reflectionofpower wrote:Nowadays some makes an engine in less than a year or faster and it's 3100 +.
And some of us make an engine in less than a year or faster and it's 2100 - :)
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

op12no2 wrote:
reflectionofpower wrote:Nowadays some makes an engine in less than a year or faster and it's 3100 +.
thats is true too
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

It all depends on what you consider "making" an engine. Some think they 'made a new engine' when they finally managed to compile the source code they downloaded. "Look mammy, I made my own Chess program, all by myself!"

It is the same in other fields. As a student I was building my own computers: I spent weeks designing the circuitry and picking components from the TTL Data Book. Then I spent months designing a printed-circuit board layout, to connect all the ICs, resistors and capacitors, using rub-off symbols on a transparent film. Then I had to actually etch the PCB, drill hundreds of holes in it, and solder all components in place, which took another few days. Finally I had to debug it with an oscilloscope, which usually took a week or so.

Nowadays people go to a computer shop, pick a hard drive, a video card, a mother board and a cabinet/power supply from the price list, snap them on the cable connectors, perhaps plug in a few memory modules, and turn a couple of screws, and they think they 'built and designed their own computer'... :shock:

And after I open a cardboard box from my fridge to heat its contents in the micro-wave oven for 5 minutes, I 'baked my own pizza'! :lol:
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

op12no2 wrote:
And some of us can't make one at all !! I really admire the skills people have just to make an engine play legal moves and a full game, let alone one that plays strongly.