Looking for an Android Openings app

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Aser Huerga

Looking for an Android Openings app

Post by Aser Huerga »

Hello,

I'm looking for an Android app thats plays chess openings randomly, so it let me train my repertoire. Additionally, it would be good a feature to copy the position to clipboard and then paste it in other apps (like Shredder or ChessGenius) and play with some engines from that point.

Could you help me?
Thanks!
Ferdy

Re: Looking for an Android Openings app

Post by Ferdy »

Aser Huerga wrote:Hello,

I'm looking for an Android app thats plays chess openings randomly, so it let me train my repertoire. Additionally, it would be good a feature to copy the position to clipboard and then paste it in other apps (like Shredder or ChessGenius) and play with some engines from that point.

Could you help me?
Thanks!
Create pgn file called BlackRep.pgn, inside this pgn file, you save slav opening d4 d5 c4 c6 nf3 nf6 as game 1. Then for second game e4 c5 nf3 d6, and so on. You will load this pgn file and select to train as black. The app will load game 1 and will play d4 so you have to play d5 according to your slav rep, after d5 the app will play c4 and so on. If you want to play the 6th game for example just press the button 5 times and now you will train with the 6th game. It is not really random but you can make it random by pressing the button next and back to bring you to different games that you have saved. This app supports game and position clipboard copy, so other app can use.
Aser Huerga

Post by Aser Huerga »

Ferdy wrote: Create pgn file called BlackRep.pgn, inside this pgn file, you save slav opening d4 d5 c4 c6 nf3 nf6 as game 1. Then for second game e4 c5 nf3 d6, and so on. You will load this pgn file and select to train as black. The app will load game 1 and will play d4 so you have to play d5 according to your slav rep, after d5 the app will play c4 and so on. If you want to play the 6th game for example just press the button 5 times and now you will train with the 6th game. It is not really random but you can make it random by pressing the button next and back to bring you to different games that you have saved. This app supports game and position clipboard copy, so other app can use.
Thanks Ferdinand, but a little question ... which app? :D
I guess you forgot to include the name.

The random method looks a bit tiresome in the long term :roll:
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Aser Huerga wrote:
Ferdy wrote: Create pgn file called BlackRep.pgn, inside this pgn file, you save slav opening d4 d5 c4 c6 nf3 nf6 as game 1. Then for second game e4 c5 nf3 d6, and so on. You will load this pgn file and select to train as black. The app will load game 1 and will play d4 so you have to play d5 according to your slav rep, after d5 the app will play c4 and so on. If you want to play the 6th game for example just press the button 5 times and now you will train with the 6th game. It is not really random but you can make it random by pressing the button next and back to bring you to different games that you have saved. This app supports game and position clipboard copy, so other app can use.
Thanks Ferdinand, but a little question ... which app? :D
I guess you forgot to include the name.

The random method looks a bit tiresome in the long term :roll:
If you don't ask I won't tell you :). Try perfect chess trainer.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Just a simple guide to get you started.
There are 2 main categories:
1. Training
2. Study

Then sub-categories
1.1 Guess the move
1.2 Train tactics
1.3 Train blunders

2.1 Train openings
2.2 Train positions
2.3 Memorize games

In your case goto 2.1.

The 1.3 is interesting, you can load a pgn then it will be analyzed by sf5, after that the app will show and test you to find the best move on positions that have blunders.

The 1.1 was what I do in the past using real board and a magazine or books :). In this app there are pre-loaded games from players, so you just have to select your favorite player and further select individual games, you can perhaps select a game where the opening played is in your repertoire, so this can also serve as opening training.

This app will give you overall rating by evaluating your performance in those categories. Goto menu->history.

You can load your favorite uci engine if you don't like the default sf5.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Just a simple guide to get you started.
1. Training
2. Study

I have to make some corrections from my previous post with this great android app.

1. Training
2. Study

Then sub-categories
1.1 Guess the move
1.2 Train tactics
1.3 Train blunders
1.4 Train openings
1.5 Train positions
1.6 Memorize games

2.1 PGN Viewer
2.2 Lectures
2.3 Opening Explorer
Aser Huerga

Post by Aser Huerga »

Looks interesting, thanks Ferdinand. The tactic trainer I like the most is CT-Art, which puzzles are ordered by themes with increasing level of difficulty. Once you have repeated a theme a few times, you are able to see the key move quickly in similar positions.

Unfortunatly, it doesn't exist as Android app.
Jhoravi

Post by Jhoravi »

Aser Huerga wrote:Unfortunatly, it doesn't exist as Android app.
It exists! the name is "iChess". You can even add your problem collections in it if you want.

And for opening training you try "Chess Repertoire"

One thing I can't wait is Chessimo for Android. They promised to release it early this year.
Aser Huerga

Post by Aser Huerga »

Jhoravi wrote: It exists! the name is "iChess". You can even add your problem collections in it if you want.
This app is very good and sure I will use it, but puzzles are not ordered by theme (distraction, fork, blocking, ...), which is the best approach to learn tactics (in my opinion).
Jhoravi

Post by Jhoravi »

In that case just take advantage of the programs feature to load your own problem collections by theme. There are many free PGN tactics puzzles arranged by themes to downdoad on the net. just google them.