Chess for Android v5.0: Time Control

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ferdy

Re: Chess for Android v5.0: Time Control

Post by Ferdy »

abik wrote:
Ferdy wrote: I have a sample game where one engine is flag due to time but CFA is also showing 0 time remaining for the other side.
[...]
[3/6]128/e2d3 0.05 } 171...Kf3 { [1/4]-52 0.016 } 172.Ke6 { [3/7]120/a4a6 0.039 } 172...Ra6+ { [1/5]-45/e6f5 0.031 white resigned:Time Control flag vs. 0:00:00 ([8/11]116/f3e3) } 0-1
The displayed clock has an accuracy of seconds only (to save screen space mainly), unlike the actual built-in clock. So anything less than a second shows up as 00:00:00 during "the last second". The same logic is used to display remaining time in the saved PGN.

So in this case, white ran out of time, and black still had a few ms. left. If really important, I suppose I could display a higher accuracy in the final PGN report.
This is important because this is the factor that decides the outcome of the game.
Gurcan Uckardes

Post by Gurcan Uckardes »

Can you please explain how above game can end with checkmate? After last move with capture it looks obvious draw to me?
My blog for Android users: http://chesstroid.blogspot.com
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

abik wrote: As for the insufficient material rule, again I am not sure how important it is to play on in these cases (most tournament managers actually demand that the GUI steps in for more cases rather than playing on). The few built-in rules in Chess for Android on claiming a draw seem rather non-controversial :-)
The test was done in TC 1 minute for the whole game, just testing how many moves the engine could hold. Since there was a premature adjudication, I thought what if CFA allowed the game to continue and just wait whose time flag drops first? Of course with plenty of time left, and both engines show drawish score then it safe to adjudicate early.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Gurcan Uckardes wrote:Can you please explain how above game can end with checkmate? After last move with capture it looks obvious draw to me?
[d]6BK/8/6nk/8/8/8/8/8 w - - 19 91
Carlos777

Post by Carlos777 »

abik wrote: As for the insufficient material rule, again I am not sure how important it is to play on in these cases (most tournament managers actually demand that the GUI steps in for more cases rather than playing on). The few built-in rules in Chess for Android on claiming a draw seem rather non-controversial :-)
K+B vs K+N should be draw, I don't think even the weakest engine would lose that ending. Also K+R vs K+R should be awarded a draw after a few moves, lets say 3, in the case there is a check with a rook winning the opposite rook after the next move. The same with K+Q vs K+Q endings.