Magnus Carlsen vs. iPad Air 2 - Who would win?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Carlsen vs. Stockfish on iPad A2, Who Would Win?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:08 pm

Carlsen would slaughter Stockfish
No votes
Carlsen would win by a narrow margin
No votes
It would be about even
15%
Stockfish would win by a narrow margin
25%
Stockfish would win convincingly
60%

Total votes: 20

Steve Maughan

Magnus Carlsen vs. iPad Air 2 - Who would win?

Post by Steve Maughan »

On my iPad Air 2 Stockfish manages an impressive 1.9 million nps from the start position. This is roughly 40% of the speed of my i7 desktop.

So how do you think Stockfish running on an iPad Air 2 would fare against Magnus Carlsen under World Championship conditions?
http://www.chessprogramming.net - Maverick Chess Engine
Jhoravi

Re: Magnus Carlsen vs. iPad Air 2 - Who would win?

Post by Jhoravi »

No need of iPad Air 2. Stockfish ported to the earliest iPhone will still beat Carlsen. The engine may play weaker strategy but the secret is that they don't blunder. They just need a single 2nd rate move by the human in order to win.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Jhoravi wrote:No need of iPad Air 2. Stockfish ported to the earliest iPhone will still beat Carlsen. The engine may play weaker strategy but the secret is that they don't blunder. They just need a single 2nd rate move by the human in order to win.
What is the speed of stockfish on the earliest iphone?

Stockfish may win but I do not agree that it may win with playing weaker strategy.

tactics do not happen in random and tactics is result of good position.

The engine first get better position and later the human miss tactics.
If the engine does not get a good position then it is easy for the human not to lose.
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

I think the iPad Air would win 2. I think we all forgot about Kasparov getting beat decades ago with Chess Genius 3.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
dark_wizzie
Full name: Erica Lin

Post by dark_wizzie »

Today's top cell phones are several times faster than 2008's first netbooks. Magnus has no chance.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Steve Maughan wrote:On my iPad Air 2 Stockfish manages an impressive 1.9 million nps from the start position. This is roughly 40% of the speed of my i7 desktop.

So how do you think Stockfish running on an iPad Air 2 would fare against Magnus Carlsen under World Championship conditions?
6.5:1.5 SF (3 draws and 5 wins by SF)
On 16 core Xeon 7:1 SF (2 draws and 6 wins by SF)

One shouldn't be impressed by hardware differences, they translate in human Elo's very tamely.
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Uri Blass wrote:What is the speed of stockfish on the earliest iphone?
I don't know about the earliest iPhone, but I have an antique iPhone 3G, which, despite the name, isn't the third, but the second generation iPhone. Stockfish runs at about 11kN/s on this device. I don't think it would be a match for a strong GM.

The iPhone 6 is actually about 100 times faster than the 3G when running Stockfish, which is pretty amazing. Admittedly, the SF version running on my 3G is about four years old (the phone is running iOS 4.0.1, and I don't have an SDK for such old versions installed, so I can't compile a new SF version for it), but I think SF's N/s hasn't changed much since then.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Tord Romstad wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:What is the speed of stockfish on the earliest iphone?
I don't know about the earliest iPhone, but I have an antique iPhone 3G, which, despite the name, isn't the third, but the second generation iPhone. Stockfish runs at about 11kN/s on this device. I don't think it would be a match for a strong GM.
I think that latest stockfish with this speed can get at least 2700 CCRL rating and it is going to be not worse than programs like Fritz8 bilbao that did well against humans or old Junior versions that could draw with kasparov so it clearly has chances to beat carlsen(not sure if it can beat Carlsen but I disagree that it is not a match for a strong GM)

http://www.computerchess.org.uk/ccrl/40 ... t_all.html
mehmet karaman

Post by mehmet karaman »

"Stockfish runs at about 11kN/s on this device. I don't think it would be a match for a strong GM."

I don't think so.

The elo performance of Pocket Fritz 4 (Hiarcs 13 engine) is 2938 at Mercosur Cup 2009. Pocket Fritz 4 searches less than 20,000 positions per second.(HTC Touch HD, 528 mhz cpu)

http://en.chessbase.com/post/breakthrou ... enos-aires

The elo performance of Pocket Fritz 3 (Hiarcs 12.1 engine) is 2691 at Mercosur Cup 2008. Pocket Fritz 3 searches less than 20,000 positions per second.)

Stockfish 5 (1cpu)elo is +410 elo higher than Hiarcs 13.1(1 cpu) and +474 elo higher than Hiarcs 12(1cpu) //CEGT(40/20)
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

This would be a no contest as the Ipad would crush Carlsen. I was watching Svidler commenting live and he mentioned that he gave playing even his Iphone about 4 years ago as he was getting discouraged playing it. If you consider how much faster the Ipad Air 2 is from a 4 year old mobile phone ... and how much SF has improved in strength code wise ... this really would be a no contest and I think Magnus would be the first to admit it.