Numpty update

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Chris Tatham

Numpty update

Post by Chris Tatham »

Just to say there is a new update to Numpty - (Numpty Recharged)

In terms of strength the gain in this version is probably the biggest since I learned about recursion (in v0.3pr iirc) - though of course it is still (and will always be) relatively very weak.

A key development has been translating the code from a 10 year old version of FreeBasic into the most recent which has now also allowed for compiler optimisation (I would like to acknowledge and thank 'frisian' in particular for carrying out this significant work for me using the earlier Numpty Omega and also tidying up and improving on some of my poor programming technique in the process).

Numpty is really intended for human use and with this in mind this version now includes draw and resign features. I know from feedback that casual to weak club players enjoy playing the engine. Having tested on FICS, Numpty may now be a more reasonable opponent for average or even possibly stronger club players. For existing users, who don't want a much harder opponent I have included an Uncharged version without optimisation which limits the strength increase in this version.

Hope you enjoy! :)
Adam Hair

Re: Numpty update

Post by Adam Hair »

That is great news, Chris! Can't wait to try out the new version.

By the way, here is the link to the Numpty website for anyone who has not been to it before:
https://sites.google.com/site/numptychess/
Chris Tatham

Re: Numpty update

Post by Chris Tatham »

Oops forgot the link - many thanks Adam and also for your support during development! :)