WinBoard/XBoard 4.8.0 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Krzysztof Grzelak

Re: WinBoard/XBoard 4.8.0 released

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

Sorry to ask for help. Can you help me in carrying out such an event, because too much I do not know how to play this tournament.Write instructions on how to play this tournament.
PaulieD

Post by PaulieD »

I have not used WinBoard in quite some time, but used to exclusively.
I do have a question in regards to time management.

Can Winboard utilize sub-second time intervals or be used for ultra fast games nowadays?
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:Sorry to ask for help. Can you help me in carrying out such an event, because too much I do not know how to play this tournament.Write instructions on how to play this tournament.
Which engines would you want to participate? I only know NebiyuCheckers. A tourney with only a single participant is not very interesting...
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

PaulieD wrote:I have not used WinBoard in quite some time, but used to exclusively.
I do have a question in regards to time management.

Can Winboard utilize sub-second time intervals or be used for ultra fast games nowadays?
It can for the increment. The base time still has to be an integer number of seconds. Considering most engines play by clocks that tick only once every 16msec, it did not seem very useful to play games faster than 1 sec.

But you could work around that by specifying a time-odds factor: if you set time-odds 100, every second you specify for the game duration is in fact only 10 msec.

For < 1sec/move you should switch move animation off, or it will become the bottleneck. For really fast games you can use the -noGUI option to suppress board update completely.

IIRC the GUI-timing measurement kit showed a communication delay of 2.2 msec under those conditions using Polyglot, and 1.5 msec using UCI2WB, om a 1.3GHz machine.