computerchess on apple

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bob

Re: computerchess on apple

Post by bob »

Richard Allbert wrote:
hgm wrote:On linux you cannot run files in the current directory by just giving their name. You have to prefix by ./ This could be the problem.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops:

This I know, of course, spending most of my time on Linux, Mac these days.

Why I didn't do this is another matter!!

Anyway thanks, and so happy to run XBoard on my macbook.
Actually you can. Just add "." to your path.

Ie

set path = ($path .)

will do the trick. Doesn't work for your fork()/exec() stuff however, there you have to tell it exactly where to look as the path is a shell thing, not a system thing.
Richard Allbert

Post by Richard Allbert »

trying to wrap my head around the concept that a chess engine is a document. Shades of Micro$oft...
:roll: :roll:

It's the name of a folder, it could be called pink_faries for all I care.

I just use it as a root for all the stuff on my computer.

What a shitty, bitter and twisted place this forum has become. Mods, feel free to remove my account.

That's it for me.
bob

Post by bob »

Richard Allbert wrote:
trying to wrap my head around the concept that a chess engine is a document. Shades of Micro$oft...

What a shitty, bitter and twisted place this forum has become. Mods, feel free to remove my account.

You don't understand humor? :)

Microsoft likes to put most everything in documents.

That's it for me.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

sje wrote:
bob wrote:BTW Lion is way old. I'd upgrade to Mavericks because the next release is due out pretty soon and they might require Mavericks before you upgrade.
Unfortunately, some of the earlier Mac Mini models with a Core 2 Duo do not support any version of Mac OS/X beyond 10.7 Lion.

See: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/m ... cmini.html
as it seems i do have such a version. it says i cannot upgrade it to mavericks.
what a pity.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
mclane

Post by mclane »

I have Commodo on The Mac mini and seid installed. I See the Engine configuration Meny But when i click on new for new engine I have no clue how to input the paths etc.

On windows pcs I can click on the engine and that's it, is it different on Mac ?
ZirconiumX

Post by ZirconiumX »

mclane wrote:I have Commodo on The Mac mini and seid installed. I See the Engine configuration Meny But when i click on new for new engine I have no clue how to input the paths etc.

On windows pcs I can click on the engine and that's it, is it different on Mac ?
Nope. Same applies for Linux.

Matthew:out
Some believe in the almighty dollar.

I believe in the almighty printf statement.
mclane

Post by mclane »

ZirconiumX wrote:
mclane wrote:I have Commodo on The Mac mini and seid installed. I See the Engine configuration Meny But when i click on new for new engine I have no clue how to input the paths etc.

Nope. Same applies for Linux.

Matthew:out
As it seems I have to write down the path. I cannot click on anything like in windows. Difficulty is I do not know what to write because there seem to be some differences between windows and OS X.
I have now stockfish5 bin and komodo8 bins on the hdd. I also see the path of toga II and phalanx. Seems these engines are somewhere in the scid directory.
What do I have to type as command or path ?
Has anyone scid (use version 4.4) and knows how to install those engines ?
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Ah... I just tried the latest SCIDvsMAC. This is ugly, there is a poorly named Analysis Engines window under Tools Menu. With that you may select your engine and directory. The default place it checks for engines is a poorly chosen hidden folder called .scidvspc in your home directory. You can of course type in any folder you like. Which I recommend. But to get at that folder you must open a terminal
type:
write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
then restart the finder.

It's ugly and convoluted. Why they don't have a browse button next to directory, I have no idea. I guess you browse for the engine above and click the "." for relative directory (Which not everyone would know what that means by looking at it). On top of that, it looks like you can select an xboard engine. But under the file menu it only gives an option to start a UCI engine?! I really don't understand.

I really disagree with the choices made here.

I maybe biased, but xboard has it a lot simpler. Where there is an obvious menu called Load 1st Engine. And things are self explanatory. And it automatically saves your settings as a single engine for future loading in the box to the left.

http://www.open-aurec.com/wbforum/viewt ... 19&t=52964
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

Richard Allbert wrote:

That's it for me.

Hello Richard,

On the basis of one comment, which was, even to me, an attempt at humour?

I will admit that any place which will tolerate Adam Hair is not a place to remain but still...

In any event, your account will not be removed. You may find that you change your mind eventually.

Later.
Richard Allbert

Post by Richard Allbert »

Roger Brown wrote: In any event, your account will not be removed. You may find that you change your mind eventually.

Later.
Then who do I have to request to get it removed? I can't find the terms and conditions either. Nor in the FAQ.