Paper "Singular Extensions" by Anantharaman, Campb

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Re: Paper "Singular Extensions" by Anantharaman, C

Post by Eelco de Groot »

RolandoFurioso wrote:
Daniel Anulliero wrote:
RolandoFurioso wrote:Hi,

I'm looking for the classical publication "Singular Extensions: Adding Selectivity to Brute-Force Searching" by Anantharaman, Campbell, and Hsu (1988).

Unfortunately, I don't have easy access to the Proceedings / Journal in which this seminal paper originally appeared, and I have not been able to locate it in the web either.

Is there anyone out there who could point me to an online resource where I could obtain a legal (prefereably free) copy of this paper?

Thanks a lot!
Roland
Hi rolando
It seems this article was pubished inthe ICGA journal volume 11 n°4
You may ask a scan to mr Hyatt , he said hd have all the volumes
Bests!
Hi Daniel,
this might be an option as well - thanks!

I have just sent a respective request to Murray Campbell (one of the authors), whom I have been able to locate via ResearchGate.

Roland
If that fails, I checked and I do have a copy of the ICCA Journal, Volume 11 N0. 4 December 1988. But the problem is I do have a scanner which my brother in law gave me once, but it may be broken or have some sort of parallel interface I can't use anymore. It would be easier to make carbon copies and send them by mail. If anyone has a PDF that would be a lot easier to send... The article is 9 pages by the way.

There was a nice much more journalistic piece in the 'Computerschaak' Dutch periodical, probably somewhere around 1988 as well. It was titled something like "Singular Extensions, the computer chess algorithm of the century". Written by the chairman of the CSVN at the time I think, Dap Hartmann, co-author of the program Dappet with Peter Kouwenhoven.
Not very technical, it was intended for all the readers of the two monthly periodical.

Maybe I will try to translate that one day, it was just a nice read and could be still inspiring if you are interested in singular extensions.

Eelco
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
RolandoFurioso

Post by RolandoFurioso »

Eelco de Groot wrote:
[ ... ]

If that fails, I checked and I do have a copy of the ICCA Journal, Volume 11 N0. 4 December 1988. But the problem is I do have a scanner which my brother in law gave me once, but it may be broken or have some sort of parallel interface I can't use anymore. It would be easier to make carbon copies and send them by mail. If anyone has a PDF that would be a lot easier to send... The article is 9 pages by the way.

There was a nice much more journalistic piece in the 'Computerschaak' Dutch periodical, probably somewhere around 1988 as well. It was titled something like "Singular Extensions, the computer chess algorithm of the century". Written by the chairman of the CSVN at the time I think, Dap Hartmann, co-author of the program Dappet with Peter Kouwenhoven.
Not very technical, it was intended for all the readers of the two monthly periodical.

Maybe I will try to translate that one day, it was just a nice read and could be still inspiring if you are interested in singular extensions.

Eelco
Hi Eelco,

thanks a lot for your nice offer!

Meanwhile, I have found out that this paper appeared as well in the journal "Artificial Intelligence", Vol. 43, Nr. 1, 1990, which seems to be available at my former University's library (Goethe University Frankfurt). I've just ordered it, so let's cross thumbs that this will work ... .

All the best,
Roland
bob

Post by bob »

Henk wrote:
noctiferus wrote:I believe I found it:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 0290900739

not so cheap :( :(
Downloading source code of Stockfish is cheaper. It implements singular extensions, but perhaps no one understands why it works (in Stockfish) or it is kept a secret.

[Singular extensions in my chess program never worked or I did not detect any improvement]
Stockfish singular extensions are not even remotely connected to deep thought type singular extensions.
Henk

Post by Henk »

If I don't use any heuristics I don't think my chess program will ever search deeper than eight plies. But these plies are real old school plies.

Or perhaps my program should do nothing more than counting material.