Paper "Singular Extensions" by Anantharaman, Campb

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

RolandoFurioso

Paper "Singular Extensions" by Anantharaman, Campb

Post by RolandoFurioso »

Hi,

I'm looking for the classical publication "Singular Extensions: Adding Selectivity to Brute-Force Searching" by Anantharaman, Campbell, and Hsu (1988).

Unfortunately, I don't have easy access to the Proceedings / Journal in which this seminal paper originally appeared, and I have not been able to locate it in the web either.

Is there anyone out there who could point me to an online resource where I could obtain a legal (prefereably free) copy of this paper?

Thanks a lot!
Roland
noctiferus

Re: Paper "Singular Extensions" by Anantharaman, C

Post by noctiferus »

I believe I found it:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 0290900739

not so cheap :( :(
Henk

Post by Henk »

noctiferus wrote:I believe I found it:

Downloading source code of Stockfish is cheaper. It implements singular extensions, but perhaps no one understands why it works (in Stockfish) or it is kept a secret.

[Singular extensions in my chess program never worked or I did not detect any improvement]
Daniel Anulliero

Post by Daniel Anulliero »

Henk wrote:
Downloading source code of Stockfish is cheaper. It implements singular extensions, but perhaps no one understands why it works (in Stockfish) or it is kept a secret.

[Singular extensions in my chess program never worked or I did not detect any improvement]
Do you have any working heuristics in your search ? ;-)
Isa download :
Henk

Post by Henk »

Daniel Anulliero wrote:
Henk wrote:

Do you have any working heuristics in your search ? ;-)
No. But principal variation search does work for Skipper, but I'm not sure about that too. Heuristics and other statistical data (/lies) are not for me.

No one can say that they are well tested for long time controls if elo gain is small.
Daniel Anulliero

Post by Daniel Anulliero »

RolandoFurioso wrote:Hi,

I'm looking for the classical publication "Singular Extensions: Adding Selectivity to Brute-Force Searching" by Anantharaman, Campbell, and Hsu (1988).

Unfortunately, I don't have easy access to the Proceedings / Journal in which this seminal paper originally appeared, and I have not been able to locate it in the web either.

Is there anyone out there who could point me to an online resource where I could obtain a legal (prefereably free) copy of this paper?

Thanks a lot!
Roland
Hi rolando
It seems this article was pubished inthe ICGA journal volume 11 n°4
You may ask a scan to mr Hyatt , he said hd have all the volumes
Bests!
Isa download :
RolandoFurioso

Post by RolandoFurioso »

Henk wrote:
noctiferus wrote:I believe I found it:

Hi Henk,

afaik, Stockfish restricts Singular Extensions to TT candidate moves the value of which is marked as lower bound.

Starting, however, with the seminal publication on SEs seems to be worthwhile anyway. Unfortunately, while there exists a bunch of excellent books with reprints of historical papers on computer chess, no one covers the publication by Anantharaman, Campbell, and Hsu.

I'm fully aware that it will be probably quite a challenge to get an overall positive contribution out of a Singular Extension implementation; of course, there are interdependencies with the other extension and reduction strategies implemented by the particular engine, and there are quite a few parameters to experiment with.

The only way to find out whether it works in one's particular case / engine (in this case: Fischerle) is to experiment, experiment, experiment .... .

I have just started with my experiments, implementing the SE strategy as employed by Stockfish and playing with some parameters, and I'm very keen to see whether I'll be able to distill some SE settings which yield an overall positive contribution.

But I admit that I'm quite a bit sceptical though ... .

Roland
Last edited by RolandoFurioso on Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RolandoFurioso

Post by RolandoFurioso »

Daniel Anulliero wrote:
RolandoFurioso wrote:Hi,

Thanks a lot!
Roland
Hi rolando
It seems this article was pubished inthe ICGA journal volume 11 n°4
You may ask a scan to mr Hyatt , he said hd have all the volumes
Bests!
Hi Daniel,
this might be an option as well - thanks!

I have just sent a respective request to Murray Campbell (one of the authors), whom I have been able to locate via ResearchGate.

Roland
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

As an option just search the SE topic, there are very good posts by Bob and others here.

All right here for example.
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... +extension
RolandoFurioso

Post by RolandoFurioso »

Ferdy wrote:As an option just search the SE topic, there are very good posts by Bob and others here.

All right here for example.
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... +extension
I already had a look at several respective posts (thanks!), and as well at an excellent paper by Marsland and Björnsson ("VARIABLE DEPTH SEARCH") that provides pseudocode specifications of two SE algorithms, distinguishing between PV and Cut nodes. Taking a look at the original publication could be worthwhile anyway.