Komodo 8 Announcement

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Re: And to the address of the SF webmaster ...

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi,

yes, that was easy English and better to understand as my Frankish.
You have right yes, today we have a bad Situation with new things.

It's out of our Hands now.
And the most of us (I too) do a bad part on it.

Best
Frank
mjlef

Re: Komodo 8 Announcement

Post by mjlef »

carldaman wrote:
lkaufman wrote:Komodo 8 will be released within the next two weeks, both by ChessBase and on komodochess.com. They will have the same engine, but the ChessBase version will include their own GUI and their own opening book, plus PlayChess membership. Our release will include Windows 64 bit and 32 bit versions plus Mac and Linux versions. We anticipate that our price will remain the same as for Komodo 7, and that Komodo 7 purchasers will get the same discount as Komodo 6 purchasers received when buying Komodo 7. Our exact release date is not yet decided but we will post an announcement here when it is.
Hi Larry,
Surely you must've meant Komodo TCEC customers receiving a discount when buying v7.

Regards,
CL
Yes, thanks for the correction. Komodo TCEC was released between Komodo 6 and Komodo 7. We offer discounts to people who bought the last version of Komodo directly from us. So Komodo 7 buyers will get the discount when they buy Komodo 8 from our web site.

Mark
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:In your brain perhaps!

Again, each good programmer is able with time to make a program stronger ... good example the programmer of SmarThink.

It's not a wonder that Rybka is 200 ELO stronger as Fruit ...
That have nothing to do with the fact ... Rybka 1 = Fruit!

“Good Artists Copy, Great Artists Steal”

― Pablo Picasso

Don't forget this was a nice quote that Steve Jobs threw out there too.

He knew there was little he could do about it (Gates putting out the Windows OS), but he lashed out nonetheless. “Get Gates down here immediately,” he ordered Mike Boich, who was Apple’s evangelist to other software companies. Gates came down — alone and willing to discuss things with Jobs. “He called me down to get pissed off at me,” Gates recalled. “I went down to Cupertino, like a command performance. I told him, ‘we’re doing Windows.’ I said to him, ‘we’re betting our company on graphics interface’.”

Their meeting was in Jobs’s conference room, where Gates found himself surrounded by ten Apple employees who were eager to watch their boss assail him. Jobs didn’t disappoint his troops. “You’re ripping us off!” he shouted. “I trusted you, and now you’re stealing from us!” Gates just sat there coolly, looking Steve in the eye, before hurling back, in his squeaky voice, what became a classic zinger. “Well, Steve, I think there’s more than one way of looking at it. I think it’s more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it.”
Last edited by reflectionofpower on Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Alexander Schmidt

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:please explain me the situation in easy English!
Computerchess died at the moment when users begun to celebrate people who squeezed some Elo points out of GPL licensed code and published this as their own work. Now we have a community that plays thousands of games between engines with the same roots and the same style and they don't even look at the games. They even pay for this kind of engines and the nearly monthly updates, to test them, buy high end computers and waste a lot of energy and resources to calculate the ELO points within a margin of +-3 points. They even tease honest programmers who do not want to take the latest IvanHoe or Stockfish to make the own engine stronger and programmers who want to take the challange to write an own engine from scratch. You should give up trying to save the community, it will never again be like before. I write this while I watch a game between ZChess 2.0 London and Comet B68 :)
Frank Quisinsky

Only one IPP work have a right for a publication.
And this is the work Norman do ...

Fruit = Open Source
And the first clear code from Norman are = Open Source
Rybka 1 based on Fruit ...

And all codes by Rybka must be free.

The reason that I am testing Fire from Norman!
Because his first work are Open Source!

All others cloens have nothing to search in official tournaments. I am not a fan from ICGA but in this point the Organisation have right.
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

Alexander Schmidt wrote:
Frank Quisinsky wrote:please explain me the situation in easy English!
Computerchess died at the moment when users begun to celebrate people who squeezed some Elo points out of GPL licensed code and published this as their own work. Now we have a community that plays thousands of games between engines with the same roots and the same style and they don't even look at the games. They even pay for this kind of engines and the nearly monthly updates, to test them, buy high end computers and waste a lot of energy and resources to calculate the ELO points within a margin of +-3 points. They even tease honest programmers who do not want to take the latest IvanHoe or Stockfish to make the own engine stronger and programmers who want to take the challange to write an own engine from scratch. You should give up trying to save the community, it will never again be like before. I write this while I watch a game between ZChess 2.0 London and Comet B68 :)
:cry: so very true
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

carldaman wrote:
lkaufman wrote:Komodo 8 will be released within the next two weeks, both by ChessBase and on komodochess.com. They will have the same engine, but the ChessBase version will include their own GUI and their own opening book, plus PlayChess membership. Our release will include Windows 64 bit and 32 bit versions plus Mac and Linux versions. We anticipate that our price will remain the same as for Komodo 7, and that Komodo 7 purchasers will get the same discount as Komodo 6 purchasers received when buying Komodo 7. Our exact release date is not yet decided but we will post an announcement here when it is.
Hi Larry,
Surely you must've meant Komodo TCEC customers receiving a discount when buying v7.

Regards,
CL
Yes, my mistake, that is what I should have said.
Frank Quisinsky

Hi Alex,

yes :-(
And I do the same in SWCR1 & SWCR2.
Not happy with things I do in the past ...
Made also enough mistakes.

But we can do it better ... not to late!
It's never to late to changed bad things!

Best
Frank

PS: Nice to read you!
Frank Quisinsky

Hi Sedat,

but what is to do ...
Blocked now Komodo too?
Normely no interest on it because Komodo was a flagship in the past. But go do a Company with selling clones and announcements in comparing with clones isn't in my interest!

On the other Hand: Junior, Zappa, Hiarcs, Shredder are available from ChessBase too. The Company try to make Profit only, that is OK ... not easy Situation. I can't understand that programmers build a Group for selling.

Bad is if clones are Commercial available.
Bad for the complete community.

And programmers can building a Group ...
We all know that if we are thinking on the bad open letters.

For myself clearer ... Komodo Team supported clones if I read the messages. Can't build an other opinion so far!

Not normely that the Team gave beta Version to People that have the complete Rating list full of clones and to compare results with clone software.

What do you do now?

Perhaps we should blocked such things too?
I have nothing again Komodo but the Publicity is bad and I have no longer interest to Support things around clones!

Give me a hint ...
Your opinion is important for myself!

At the moment the only clear commercial engine is Chiron.

Best
Frank
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Hi Sedat,

but what is to do ...
Blocked now Komodo too?
Normely no interest on it because Komodo was a flagship in the past. But go do a Company with selling clones and announcements in comparing with clones isn't in my interest!

For myself clearer ... Komodo Team supported clones if I read the messages. Can't build an other opinion so far!

Not normely that the Team gave beta Version to People that have the complete Rating list full of clones and to compare results with clone software.

What do you do now?

Perhaps we should blocked such things too?
I have nothing again Komodo but the Publicity is bad and I have no longer interest to Support things around clones!

Give me a hint ...
Your opinion is important for myself!

Best
Frank
I have always been among the strongest opponents of clones. But I respect the opinions of other people, and if IPON, CCRL, and CEGT all chose to rate Houdini despite its origin, I don't feel it's my place to tell them what to do. Like it or not (and I do not), Houdini has been the strongest commercial chess engine until recently, and I very much want to prove that this is no longer true. I don't see how showing that Komodo is stronger than Houdini is in any way helpful to Houdini, quite the contrary! So I have trouble understanding what your objection to this is.
If you wanted to be a beta-tester for Komodo I would have no problem with including you as one, but I don't think that you are interested in the question of whether Komodo or Stockfish is number 1 now in strength. Please let me know if I am wrong about this.

Best regards,
Larry