Komodo 8 Announcement

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

royb

Re: Komodo 8 Announcement

Post by royb »

Mark,

There was an issue with Komodo 7 (ish) that popped up during TCEC where it took Komodo a long time to get running (there was a 30 second timeout of some sort if I recall correctly that was enforced by the TCEC software). Did this get resolved in Komodo 8?

On a possibly unrelated note, as a Komodo 5 user, I noticed it took quite a bit longer for Komodo to start than, say Stockfish or Houdini 3. And, when pausing the engine (in SCID, I clicked the VCR-like "pause" button), there appeared to be a 10% CPU hit that lived on despite the fact that the engine was paused. This did not happen with any other engines.

Any chance you can comment on both those issues?

Thanks,

Roy
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Mark,

OK, so the test can be run and I have not again to switch back to the other test (a bit work).

It would be nice to have your Now ...
Perhaps as bonus package available with Komodo 9 (that would be an event for me).

Have only Now 0.1 and this must be changed :-)

Good luck with your Komodo and marketing.

Best
Frank
Frank Quisinsky

Hi Larry,

if you wish that I stopped the test immedeately I will do that.
Quit clear for me.

Will not produce problems in marketing strategies.
That is to 100% OK for me, really!

In the morning I am thinking is available after my order and start the test.

Best
Frank
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

royb wrote:Mark,

There was an issue with Komodo 7 (ish) that popped up during TCEC where it took Komodo a long time to get running (there was a 30 second timeout of some sort if I recall correctly that was enforced by the TCEC software). Did this get resolved in Komodo 8?

On a possibly unrelated note, as a Komodo 5 user, I noticed it took quite a bit longer for Komodo to start than, say Stockfish or Houdini 3. And, when pausing the engine (in SCID, I clicked the VCR-like "pause" button), there appeared to be a 10% CPU hit that lived on despite the fact that the engine was paused. This did not happen with any other engines.

Any chance you can comment on both those issues?

Thanks,

Roy
The long start-up time applied only when using huge hash table sizes; it has been improved with Komodo 8 though it may still be longer than with other engines.
I think Komodo 8 is sufficiently different from Komodo 5 that I would not consider K5 behaviors as relevant to Komodo 8.
Frank Quisinsky

Hi Larry,

Komodo is running in my test with the following Settings:

i7 4.3GHz, 1 Core, with 40 moves in 10 minutes without ponder ... the FCT1 conditions, have a look under conditions on my page.

Here the Shredder configuration file:

Code: Select all

ENGINE]
Name=Komodo 8 x64
Author=Don Dailey, Larry Kaufman, Mark Lefler
Filename=C:\Chess\Shredder_12\Engines\Komodo\Komodo_8-x64.exe
[OPTIONS]
Book File=<empty>
Table Memory=128
Move Overhead Milliseconds=0
SyzygyPath=c&#58;\Chess\_syzygybases
Give only the path for syzygybases and set Table to 128 (same I do with K7a). Hope this is OK.

With 40 moves in 10 minutes game Need around 45 minutes. 8 games still running to the same time ...

Best
Frank
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

We are just now sending out copies to the other testing groups. So no need for you to stop anything.

Larry
Frank Quisinsky

Hi Larry,

OK!
Now I have to look in the games ... very interesting and strong what I can see here!

Best
Frank
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

Release was moved forward to Thursday morning, Berlin time!
Tomcass

Post by Tomcass »

Jesse Gersenson wrote:Tom, you were one of the few people who got a sneek-preview copy of Komodo 8 (we'd temporarily turned on K8 ordering to double check the website was set up correctly).

Komodo 8 will be released Friday.
Thanks Jesse.

I have been surprised to check that the engine was already available this morning. But I payed for it and proceeded to download. Till now it works well with no crashes or problems in my 4 and 6 cores computers.

I assume that if the final release differs from this one, I will be able to receive the new engine. :wink:

Kind regards from Barcelona.

Tom.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Tomcass wrote:
Thanks Jesse.

I have been surprised to check that the engine was already available this morning. But I payed for it and proceeded to download. Till now it works well with no crashes or problems in my 4 and 6 cores computers.

I assume that if the final release differs from this one, I will be able to receive the new engine. :wink:

Kind regards from Barcelona.

Tom.
Yes indeed. All purchasers can always get a fresh copy from there komodochess.com account. If there are any significant changes, we will announce it here.

Mark