How many chess programmers are turning to Go?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

How many chess programmers are turning to Go?

Post by Eelco de Groot »

I was just wondering, I sometimes see a post here about computer Go, and vaguely remember that people like Vincent Diepeveen seemed to have tried their hand at computer Go programming. Was wondering if there are some strong programs these days using new heuristics. Maybe Vas gone to computer Go? Well, I suppose not, because there is not much money to be made there and he needs to support a family.

I came across a fairly recent article that gives an introduction, it seems relatively easy to follow for us dumb chess players :) The Mystery of Go, the Ancient Game That Computers Still Can’t Win.
I see one person there, not unknown to us here in computer chess, who has taken up the challenges of a new game:

Rémi Coulom (left) and his computer program, Crazy Stone, take on grandmaster Norimoto Yoda in the game of Go. Photo: Takashi Osato/WIRED.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
pocopito

Re: How many chess programmers are turning to Go?

Post by pocopito »

I learned to play Go a few months ago and I've kind of wondered about the same question.

It seems the situation of computer Go is similar to the one of computer chess in the 90's. You say that there is not many money to be made on this field, but I'm not that sure about it (for example, the android app for playing on KGS, a famous GO server costs 7.40€. Of course it has nothing to do with building a Go engine, but it can give you an idea that there are people who spend money on it). It seems that in spite of the advances that have been recently done, Go is for the moment completly mastered by humans. For example, AFAIK, actual softwares don't have yet a proper post mortem analysis feature.

Currently Go looks more like a challenge for programmers than chess; the receipt for a strong chess engine is already known (not saying that it's easy to do, but that the technical knowledge is right there for whoever wants/can use it), but for Go it seems there is a long road to go over.

Best

E Diaz
Two first meanings of the dutch word "leren":
1. leren [vc] (learn, larn, acquire) acquire or gain knowledge or skills.
2. leren [v] (teach, learn, instruct) impart skills or knowledge to.
Bloodbane

Post by Bloodbane »

I started writing a Go engine about half a year ago. It's very different from chess programming so it's been a lot of fun. Sadly my program, Accelerator, isn't strong yet, but I expect this to change after I start using heavy playouts. Haven't done that yet due to my computer breaking down and not being able to test things for two and a half weeks. I do not known of any other not already mentioned chess programmers turning to go programming with the exception of mr. Dailey, who is deceased.
Functional programming combines the flexibility and power of abstract mathematics with the intuitive clarity of abstract mathematics.
https://github.com/mAarnos
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

pocopito wrote:I learned to play Go a few months ago and I've kind of wondered about the same question.

It seems the situation of computer Go is similar to the one of computer chess in the 90's. You say that there is not many money to be made on this field, but I'm not that sure about it (for example, the android app for playing on KGS, a famous GO server costs 7.40€. Of course it has nothing to do with building a Go engine, but it can give you an idea that there are people who spend money on it). It seems that in spite of the advances that have been recently done, Go is for the moment completly mastered by humans. For example, AFAIK, actual softwares don't have yet a proper post mortem analysis feature.
While computer Go resembles computer Chess from 90's, both are/were not "completely mastered by humans", as you expressed it. Computer Chess in 90's on x386, x486, early Pentiums, was reaching 2,300-2,400 human Elo level, more than 99% of humans are below that, and it was "mastered" only by GMs against bots. Similarly, some Go engines now on 20-cores reach 6 dan level, which is higher than 99% of human Go players, and only Go pros and the strongest of amateurs master it against bots.
It seems only a question of time, maybe 10-20 years, until bots will become stronger in Go, even compared to Go pros.
Currently Go looks more like a challenge for programmers than chess; the receipt for a strong chess engine is already known (not saying that it's easy to do, but that the technical knowledge is right there for whoever wants/can use it), but for Go it seems there is a long road to go over.

Best

E Diaz
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Laskos wrote:
pocopito wrote:I learned to play Go a few months ago and I've kind of wondered about the same question.

While computer Go resembles computer Chess from 90's, both are/were not "completely mastered by humans", as you expressed it. Computer Chess in 90's on x386, x486, early Pentiums, was reaching 2,300-2,400 human Elo level, more than 99% of humans are below that, and it was "mastered" only by GMs against bots. Similarly, some Go engines now on 20-cores reach 6 dan level, which is higher than 99% of human Go players, and only Go pros and the strongest of amateurs master it against bots.
It seems only a question of time, maybe 10-20 years, until bots will become stronger in Go, even compared to Go pros.

Best

E Diaz
Similar thoughts crossed my mind :D
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
IanO

Post by IanO »

The other notable chess programmer who attempted a Go engine is Gian-Carlo Pascutto. Though better known for Sjeng, he was the first person to offer a monte carlo Go program for sale: Leela. I don't think he has worked on either program for several years, however.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Oh yes! if i was a chess programmer i think i too, would be turning to go back home now.
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

Eelco de Groot wrote:I was just wondering, I sometimes see a post here about computer Go, and vaguely remember that people like Vincent Diepeveen seemed to have tried their hand at computer Go programming. Was wondering if there are some strong programs these days using new heuristics. Maybe Vas gone to computer Go? Well, I suppose not, because there is not much money to be made there and he needs to support a family.

I came across a fairly recent article that gives an introduction, it seems relatively easy to follow for us dumb chess players :) The Mystery of Go, the Ancient Game That Computers Still Can’t Win.
I see one person there, not unknown to us here in computer chess, who has taken up the challenges of a new game:

Rémi Coulom (left) and his computer program, Crazy Stone, take on grandmaster Norimoto Yoda in the game of Go. Photo: Takashi Osato/WIRED.
Kudos to Remi Coulom! His program Crazy Stone is widely mentioned as the pioneer of MCTS/UCT, that revolutionized Computer Go back in 2005. And now it is the strongest, or one of the strongest, with a 6 dan leval on home PC. Very few human players are above 6 dan, and that means that Go programs will soon be on par with the Kasparov's of Go, and eventually be on another level, just like in Chess.

On the other hand, Remi's program is closed source. To break the dan/elo barriers, a strong engine using the same state-of-the-art techniques needs to be open source. And that's the case already with Fuego. I'm sure in the coming years, the strongest programs will be open source, and will be on par with the best humans (and better in a few years more).
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Thanks everyone for the replies and comments! If we had a way to display Go diagrams, maybe we could make a subforum for it!
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Eelco de Groot wrote:Thanks everyone for the replies and comments! If we had a way to display Go diagrams, maybe we could make a subforum for it!
I tried to elicit some interest:
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=504919
:)