How to play Computer Chess on Internet

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

vittyvirus
Full name: Fahad Syed

How to play Computer Chess on Internet

Post by vittyvirus »

I want to create a computer account that will play rated games on internet. Even if I login on arena using computer account, on freechess, i am banned to play rated games. Is there some 'computer chess server' or can I create a computer account on fics? If so, how?
reflectionofpower

Re: How to play Computer Chess on Internet

Post by reflectionofpower »

vittyvirus wrote:I want to create a computer account that will play rated games on internet. Even if I login on arena using computer account, on freechess, i am banned to play rated games. Is there some 'computer chess server' or can I create a computer account on fics? If so, how?
I was just talking to Ozso on ICC about this and they will not let him on either. If u go on FIC website: http://bit.ly/1nsxXln and look at the very first paragraph ul c why they are limiting (C) accounts. U can certainly do it on ICC but that's a dead end for manual/auto operators as only a couple other (C) will play u and no human will play u unless u have a very powerful computer or unique program not commercialized. If ur testing a homebrew progam then it is still a great place to test it. In the late 90's on ICC it was a computer players paradise. All types of different programs (no open source then) Played a lot of poweful GM's there. I remember playing Alexi Shirov when he was like 9th in the world 2 games and I was using Chess Genius 3 and I beat him with an Evans Gambit and then he beat me the next game. It is not like it used to be that is for sure. It used to be a blast playing games, chatting with other operators, having friendly rivalries, playing ferret,wchessx,ban,NowX,etc. Those were the days, the golden era of (C) accounts for manual operators at that time.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Henk

Post by Henk »

Looks like computer chess is almost dead. Maybe we have to find another hobby.
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

Henk wrote:Looks like computer chess is almost dead. Maybe we have to find another hobby.
It alive and well. I am just talking about being a manual operator and using different programs on chess servers in a bygone era where (C) played other (C). Here is a pic of Transwarp breaking 4000 on ICC!

http://s27.postimg.org/5h8wo7mw3/4009.jpg
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Henk

Post by Henk »

I remember a story in the Donald Duck which I read perhaps thirty five years ago where they described the situation in the future where games or toys were playing without humans. The nephews of Donald Duck called Kwik, Kwek and Kwak which were placed in that situation looked as if they were very bored.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

vittyvirus wrote:I want to create a computer account that will play rated games on internet. Even if I login on arena using computer account, on freechess, i am banned to play rated games. Is there some 'computer chess server' or can I create a computer account on fics? If so, how?
You can create a computer account at Playchess where there is a dedicated computer chess room. It is a subscription site, but not terribly expensive. I think for a computer account, which would dispense the premium features, it is some 30 Euros a year or something.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
vittyvirus

Post by vittyvirus »

Now what should I do? register on icc as a computer account?
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

If you want to play computer vs computer, you could use Joshua Shriver's OICS ( http://olympuschess.com/tourney/ ). Or has that project been discontinued?
vittyvirus

Post by vittyvirus »

hgm wrote:If you want to play computer vs computer, you could use Joshua Shriver's OICS ( http://olympuschess.com/tourney/ ). Or has that project been discontinued?
I fear it is... :?
ZirconiumX

Post by ZirconiumX »

OICS never got much traffic, so now it's just sitting there. Even Josh himself only checks on it once a week.

It needs more traffic to survive.

Matthew:out
Some believe in the almighty dollar.

I believe in the almighty printf statement.