Did Robert Houdart give up developing Houdini?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

shrapnel

Re: Did Robert Houdart give up developing Houdini?

Post by shrapnel »

FriedmannC wrote:The latest Stockfish version is at least 50 ELO points stronger than Houdini 4 Pro.
Don't kid yourself. H4 is still very strong.
Just tested Houdini 4 at Contempt 0 (that too with Black) against the LATEST Stockfish Development Version (Stockfish_Syzgy_14052723_x64_modern_sse42) in a Long Time Control Game. Houdini 4 easily held Stockfish to a draw.
All that the brilliant Houdart has to do, is to watch the struggles of the stockfish dev. team for at most a year and then make a few changes to the Houdini Code and Houdini 5 will be top-dog again and will sell like hot cakes !
Simple truth !
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
arturo100

Post by arturo100 »

shrapnel wrote:
FriedmannC wrote:The latest Stockfish version is at least 50 ELO points stronger than Houdini 4 Pro.
Just tested Houdini 4 at Contempt 0 (that too with Black) against the LATEST Stockfish Development Version (Stockfish_Syzgy_14052723_x64_modern_sse42) in a Long Time Control Game. Houdini 4 easily held Stockfish to a draw.
All that the brilliant Houdart has to do, is to watch the struggles of the stockfish dev. team for at most a year and then make a few changes to the Houdini Code and Houdini 5 will be top-dog again and will sell like hot cakes !
Simple truth !
Anil:
did I read you correctly? Are you drawing conclusions from *a* single game you played between the two engines?
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

chessmobile wrote:
FriedmannC wrote:I'm pretty sure he won't answer :wink:
2nd that, was looking at his Houdini Facebook page and see he ignores even his most ardent fans.
I said it from the very begining:

This guy has poor communication skills....

Besides,he didn't and most probably won't release the promissed tunnable version of Houdini 4....

My guess is that he's done with as a top computer chess programmer regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

shrapnel wrote:
Simple truth
!
With all due respect,I strongly doubt that....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: Testing various fishes

Post by Sylwy »

arturo100 wrote:
shrapnel wrote:
Simple truth !
Anil:
did I read you correctly? Are you drawing conclusions from *a* single game you played between the two engines?
Hey man !

Dont'be pessimistic, please ! Maybe was a draw a very-very long match (over 1000 games) !

:roll:

Silvian :wink: R
Mithu

Post by Mithu »

shrapnel wrote:
Simple truth !
I can understand that!
To put it in clearer way for those who did not understand that - "All that brilliant Houdart has to do is to copy a few codes from Stockfish after one year, acknowledge it so as to be safe, and there is the promised 20 elo jump!"
And Stockfish will be sitting like a duck? Oh no... We will not be seeing Houdini coming up in the near future.
I am sorry to break all the Houdini fanboys' bubbles! Wake up mates - its Rybka repeating itself in a different avatar! :)

Peace.
gerold

Post by gerold »

Mithu wrote:
shrapnel wrote:
Simple truth !
I can understand that!
To put it in clearer way for those who did not understand that - "All that brilliant Houdart has to do is to copy a few codes from Stockfish after one year, acknowledge it so as to be safe, and there is the promised 20 elo jump!"
And Stockfish will be sitting like a duck? Oh no... We will not be seeing Houdini coming up in the near future.
I am sorry to break all the Houdini fanboys' bubbles! Wake up mates - its Rybka repeating itself in a different avatar! :)

Peace.
I think you may be right.

These guys clone and tune all they can and then hope to make money selling it. When the sells don't match what they think they should get for the program they are gone and on to another spin. :)
Henk

Post by Henk »

gerold wrote:
Mithu wrote:
shrapnel wrote:
Simple truth !
I can understand that!

Peace.
I think you may be right.

These guys clone and tune all they can and then hope to make money selling it. When the sells don't match what they think they should get for the program they are gone and on to another spin. :)
Good idea. Next version of Skipper will be 1000 ELO stronger. Guess how.
At the top of the mountain there is less room (for variation). So if top programs look like Stockfish it's no surprise. Why waste time and money with experimenting if good ideas are very very scarce.
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote: This guy has poor communication skills....
Hi Dr Wael
Excuse me, but what exactly have his communication skills to do with his Code-writing skills ?
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Mithu wrote: I can understand that!
Yes, Mithun bro , smart of you to read between the lines :wink:
Well, I say, what's the harm ?
If stockfish dev. team is naive enough to to make public all their progress, why shouldn't businessmen like Houdart and LK profit from it ?
Also, they could take ideas from these innocents, further fine-tune it and and make even stronger Engines !
And so what, if SF isn't sitting like a duck ? At least for some time, Houdart will have good sales, since ELO gain is getting more and more difficult...and give the guy some credit.....his non-updated H4 is still a match for the latest SF dev versions... at most its only a few ELO weaker !