Did Robert Houdart give up developing Houdini?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JJJ

Re: Did Robert Houdart give up developing Houdini?

Post by JJJ »

Maybe he is working a lot on H5. Don't let the frustration talk for you. I think he can do a lot of surprise.
FriedmannC

Post by FriedmannC »

His silence is an answer... an answer that he ran out of resources for improving Houdini to surpass the current Stockfish version which is definitely 50 ELO points above Houdart's engine 8-) And indeed, all by himself is not easy to do this thing, he needs at least 2 top chess programmers to help him developing Houdini further if he wants to regain the so much coveted top spot :wink: Richard Vida hasn't been around for a year, Vasik Rajilich left the computer chess field for good ( I suppose ), Stefan Meyer Kahlen stopped working on Shredder since 2009 etc
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

FriedmannC wrote:His silence is an answer... an answer that he ran out of resources for improving Houdini to surpass the current Stockfish version which is definitely 50 ELO points above Houdart's engine 8-) And indeed, all by himself is not easy to do this thing, he needs at least 2 top chess programmers to help him developing Houdini further if he wants to regain the so much coveted top spot :wink: Richard Vida hasn't been around for a year, Vasik Rajilich left the computer chess field for good ( I suppose ), Stefan Meyer Kahlen stopped working on Shredder since 2009 etc
Silence say nothing about the ability of the programmers and it is possible that all these programmers could compete but prefers to spend their time on other things because today there is no money to earn in computer chess.

Fabien left computer chess for some years and came back.

The only advantage of stockfish relative to most programs is the ability to use more computer time and I read that this was not an advantage of stockfish relative to houdini because somebody was ready to give houdart computer time.

I believe that most of the developers of stockfish even do not understand most of stockfish's code so I think that there should be no problem for a good programmer to compete against stockfish in case that he has enough interest and I guess that Robert Houdart simply does not have enough interest.
rvida

Post by rvida »

FriedmannC wrote:Richard Vida hasn't been around for a year
I am still following this forum, although in 'lurker' mode :)
gerold

Post by gerold »

rvida wrote:
Good to hear from you Richard. Keep up the good work.

A couple people have been trying to flush Robert Houdart out without success :lol:
Robert Flesher

Post by Robert Flesher »

rvida wrote:

Me too Richard, since the very beginning of both forums. It helped me improve my english ( non native tongue). After many years, it improved, and my love for computer chess. However, I am a chess player, first!
kranium

Post by kranium »

gerold wrote:
rvida wrote:
Good to hear from you Richard. Keep up the good work.

A couple people have been trying to flush Robert Houdart out without success :lol:
gerold wrote: "Keep up the good work."
Gerold, seriously...?
are you aware it appears he's been RE'ing Houdini for some time now?

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... JkY2NmYjVl

Early versions of Critter were open-source Pascal, but then all of a sudden, the source was closed...
since then, Don Dailey's similarity tester points overwhelmingly (80+ %) to Ippolit and Houdini 2.0

Many here are calling any Sim3 result over 60% a 'clone'

Are you (and maybe the entrenched establishment) hiding your head in the sand over this or what?
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Mithu wrote:
shrapnel wrote:
FriedmannC wrote:The latest Stockfish version is at least 50 ELO points stronger than Houdini 4 Pro.
Don't kid yourself. H4 is still very strong.
Just tested Houdini 4 at Contempt 0 (that too with Black) against the LATEST Stockfish Development Version (Stockfish_Syzgy_14052723_x64_modern_sse42) in a Long Time Control Game. Houdini 4 easily held Stockfish to a draw.
All that the brilliant Houdart has to do, is to watch the struggles of the stockfish dev. team for at most a year and then make a few changes to the Houdini Code and Houdini 5 will be top-dog again and will sell like hot cakes !
Simple truth !
I can understand that!
To put it in clearer way for those who did not understand that - "All that brilliant Houdart has to do is to copy a few codes from Stockfish after one year, acknowledge it so as to be safe, and there is the promised 20 elo jump!"
And Stockfish will be sitting like a duck? Oh no... We will not be seeing Houdini coming up in the near future.
I am sorry to break all the Houdini fanboys' bubbles! Wake up mates - its Rybka repeating itself in a different avatar! :)

Peace.
Exactly....
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

shrapnel wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote: This guy has poor communication skills....
Hi Dr Wael
Excuse me, but what exactly have his communication skills to do with his Code-writing skills ?
Hi Anil,

I was reffering to the fact that he dosen't answer his closest fans lately asking him various questions about Houdini's future plans....

For me,that's a game quitter regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

shrapnel wrote:
Mithu wrote: I can understand that!
Yes, Mithun bro , smart of you to read between the lines :wink:
Well, I say, what's the harm ?
If stockfish dev. team is naive enough to to make public all their progress, why shouldn't businessmen like Houdart and LK profit from it ?
Also, they could take ideas from these innocents, further fine-tune it and and make even stronger Engines !
And so what, if SF isn't sitting like a duck ? At least for some time, Houdart will have good sales, since ELO gain is getting more and more difficult...and give the guy some credit.....his non-updated H4 is still a match for the latest SF dev versions... at most its only a few ELO weaker !
I have to admitt that there's nothing wrong with that....
Dr.D