Komodo Syzygy evals

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

shrapnel

Re: Komodo Syzygy evals

Post by shrapnel »

mjlef wrote:The problem is the GUI. A few GUIs take the score Komodo gives them and for some reason, improperly converts them to a negative mate score to display. Scores above 29999 appear in these bad GUIs as negative mate score. Komodo still plays a move leading to a win. One GUI (Arena) does it backward, converting a mate in 1000 to a score!

Since these GUIs are not displaying the scores properly, it is a GUI problem, but we are looking at modifying Komodo to display a score around 250.00 to indicate an upcoming mate. But we want to test it in a bunch of GUIs first, since the GUIs implement things differently.

May GUIs have a log function where you can see the commends set to and from the engines to confirm this.
All this is mere quibbling. When Hurnavich has clearly pointed out that both Houdini and Stockfish don't have this problem, blaming GUIs is simply " A bad workman blames his tools".
Instead of trying to obfuscate the matter, just fix it, without making vague excuses.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Hurnavich

Post by Hurnavich »

[d]7Q/3k2p1/1K4Q1/8/7P/8/8/8 w - - 0 63

Result with 5 man Komodo

Analysis by Komodo 7 64-bit MP:

63.Qhe8#
+- (#1) Depth: 29 00:00:20 290MN, tb=13577862

Result with 6 man Komodo

Analysis by Komodo 7 64-bit MP:

63.h5
-+ (-#1799) Depth: 9 00:00:00 0kN, tb=110

look at the -+ advantage to black?

Result 6 man Stockfish

Analysis by SF 190514 BYO RW:

63.Qhe8#
+- (#1) Depth: 192/2 00:00:00 8kN, tb=38

look at the +- K is wrong?

So with respect why is Komodo acting different?

Stockfish and Houdini using same GUI same bases
"May your next game be your best"
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Hurnavich wrote:Hi, Larry

Excellent news

I'm a little confused so the display will be fixed but will
Komodo search some more, and pick the mating move, if found, over a TB winning move fix also be implemented in a future release?.

Many thanks
Sorry, I misspoke. This is fixed now. I meant to say "It won't change game results", but it will change the choice of move in a winning tb position. The fixed version (internal name komodo 7a) is availablle now for download for those who bought Komodo 7. New purchasers will get the fixed version. The fix only applies to tablebase use; there is no reason for downloading the new version if you don't use tablebases.
Hurnavich

Post by Hurnavich »

Hi, Larry

Fixed perfect many thanks to Komodo team!

And thanks for listening.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

shrapnel wrote:
mjlef wrote:The problem is the GUI. A few GUIs take the score Komodo gives them and for some reason, improperly converts them to a negative mate score to display. Scores above 29999 appear in these bad GUIs as negative mate score. Komodo still plays a move leading to a win. One GUI (Arena) does it backward, converting a mate in 1000 to a score!

Since these GUIs are not displaying the scores properly, it is a GUI problem, but we are looking at modifying Komodo to display a score around 250.00 to indicate an upcoming mate. But we want to test it in a bunch of GUIs first, since the GUIs implement things differently.

May GUIs have a log function where you can see the commends set to and from the engines to confirm this.
All this is mere quibbling. When Hurnavich has clearly pointed out that both Houdini and Stockfish don't have this problem, blaming GUIs is simply " A bad workman blames his tools".
Instead of trying to obfuscate the matter, just fix it, without making vague excuses.
Why are you so aggressive ? of Course the Guis interprete the values.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

mclane wrote:
Why are you so aggressive ? of Course the Guis interprete the values.
If a dislike for hearing lame excuses and obfuscation of points in question is being aggressive, so be it.
Anyway, he certainly seems to have succeeded in confusing you !
For your kind information, the SAME GUIs also interpret the values for Stockfish and Houdini 4, which have no problems.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

shrapnel wrote: All this is mere quibbling. When Hurnavich has clearly pointed out that both Houdini and Stockfish don't have this problem, blaming GUIs is simply " A bad workman blames his tools".
I've blocked you on the Rybka forum but this forum doesn't have that feature....

Mark was detailing the problem and explaining how he'll fix it. And, ONE day and 40 emails later, he's fixed it! Perhaps a non-native speaker could misinterpret Mark's intention and conclude it was obfuscation and an excuse but clearly it was a programmer researching and defining the problem before him in order to solve it. Well done Mark, Larry and Jeremy.
Hurnavich

Post by Hurnavich »

Are you saying you have blocked me? Hurnavich?

I have just posted on here my many thanks to the team for sorting this problem quickly!

And i have posted at rybka forum that the problem now appears to be resolved.

As a paying customer i have aired my findings and together i and komodo team and others support here have resolved it for the good of all users.

Do you not agree?
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

You did not air your findings. You were aggressive. Thank you for your patience.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Hurnavich

Post by Hurnavich »

How was i agressive?

I NEVER POSTED THE FOLLOWING (THAT WAS SOMEONE ELSE)

SHOW ME WHERE I WAS SUPPOSED TO HAVE SAID THE FOLLOWING!!WHICH I HAVE NOT!!!

GO THROUGH EVERY POST I HAVE NEVER BEEN AGRESSIVE THE ABOVE POST WAS NOT MINE!!!!