Komodo 7

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ozymandias

Re: Komodo 7

Post by Ozymandias »

Harvey Williamson wrote:I also doubt it will take place as GMs in the 2800 category would need a big financial incentive to play.
That's the only thing on which we could agree.

BTW, Playchess isn't Freestyle, it's basically computer chess, you won't find the best centaur players there.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Ozymandias wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:I also doubt it will take place as GMs in the 2800 category would need a big financial incentive to play.
That's the only thing on which we could agree.

BTW, Playchess isn't Freestyle, it's basically computer chess, you won't find the best centaur players there.
I know exactly what Playchess is and if you look back in history the 1st big freestyle tournaments were played there.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Harvey Williamson wrote:I know exactly what Playchess is and if you look back in history the 1st big freestyle tournaments were played there.
In that case, you know I started playing Freestyle in those CB hosted tournaments. The history lesson is appreciated, but not needed.
Harvey Williamson

Ozymandias wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:I know exactly what Playchess is and if you look back in history the 1st big freestyle tournaments were played there.
In that case, you know I started playing Freestyle in those CB hosted tournaments. The history lesson is appreciated, but not needed.
It was you who presumed I had 0 knowledge of Playchess.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Harvey Williamson wrote:It was you who presumed I had 0 knowledge of Playchess.
When?
Harvey Williamson

Ozymandias wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:It was you who presumed I had 0 knowledge of Playchess.
When?
BTW, Playchess isn't Freestyle, it's basically computer chess, you won't find the best centaur players there
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Please quote a little bit backwards.
duncan

Post by duncan »

lkaufman wrote: The interesting question is how much better with equal time?
There are other solutions besides material handicaps.
- They include extra moves (i.e. computer must move knight out and then back again for first two moves),
- forfeiture of castling,
- draw odds,
- White pieces plus no book after move 3 plus time odds (as in Ehlvest-Rybka match),
- and designated bad openings for computer (example: Black must play ...f6 and ...Kf7 as first two moves.

Do any of these (or any other) ideas appeal to those reading this thread? I ask because although Dzindzi may be too ill for this, I expect we will have matches with GMs in the near future.
great news. waiting for this for a long time. always wondered what do these massive elo increases mean in the real human world

anything which increases knowledge about relative human -computer strength must be a good thing. although I would like to repeat pawn and move sacrifices of past, just to see computer progression

uri once said I think, even if the human has 10 take backs the computer will win as a computer is positionally stronger, not just tactically as some say. I would like to see this tested. maybe give the human 3 takebacks, if he loses, 5 then 7 etc.

I think prof hyatt says human is defeated by his own poor stamina. what about 20 moves a day over 3 days to test this.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

duncan wrote:
lkaufman wrote: The interesting question is how much better with equal time?
There are other solutions besides material handicaps.
- They include extra moves (i.e. computer must move knight out and then back again for first two moves),
- forfeiture of castling,
- draw odds,
- White pieces plus no book after move 3 plus time odds (as in Ehlvest-Rybka match),
- and designated bad openings for computer (example: Black must play ...f6 and ...Kf7 as first two moves.

Do any of these (or any other) ideas appeal to those reading this thread? I ask because although Dzindzi may be too ill for this, I expect we will have matches with GMs in the near future.
great news. waiting for this for a long time. always wondered what do these massive elo increases mean in the real human world

anything which increases knowledge about relative human -computer strength must be a good thing. although I would like to repeat pawn and move sacrifices of past, just to see computer progression

uri once said I think, even if the human has 10 take backs the computer will win as a computer is positionally stronger, not just tactically as some say. I would like to see this tested. maybe give the human 3 takebacks, if he loses, 5 then 7 etc.

I think prof hyatt says human is defeated by his own poor stamina. what about 20 moves a day over 3 days to test this.
This is not very practical and is clearly not enough to give human a real chance, Also he might analyze with computer overnight.

I would bet on Komodo vs 2700 human even if human got unlimited takebacks, but only one per move. We might try this sometime.
overlord

Post by overlord »

Luke McShane had for sure better hardware than we had. We are almost everytime equipped by the worst hardware (at that time I had some artificial Athlon - it is good maybe for MS Office, not for chess). I believe that we can beat easily Anand, Carlsen or other top GM in Freestyle with equal or even worse hardware. Please remember, that we are from Czech Republic and we don´t have enough money to buy or rent the same hardware like other top centaurs (Intagrand e.g.). Those guys are from countries such as England, Germany and/or USA where general economical situation is dramatically better. The only one strong centaur with FIDE title is Vašík Rajlich, as an author of Rybka (extreme experience with PC chess).