Where is Hiarcs?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Henk

Re: Maybe coming soon ! Maybe ?

Post by Henk »

mclane wrote:
Henk wrote:I thought I saw a post where he said he found a new job as a disk jockey on the radio.
maybe you mix it up with harvey ?!
Yes probably. Forget my previous post. For me it's fools only today.
overlord

Post by overlord »

For me it is difficult to understand what is the sense of commercial engines at all. It makes sense if commercial engines are much stronger that free ones. But could someone tell me why should buy new commercial engine, when king of the hill is freeware Stockfish with almost everyday updates. OK, to be fair, Fritz offers very good interface and playchess membership. It is worth the money. Chessbase should sell only GUI and membership, not a Fritz as an engine, because its value is zero.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Exactly because its value is zero, do they sell it alongside the GUI. To get an extra 30€. If they sold the GUI separately, how many copies of the Fritz 14 engine do you think would be sold?

Hiarcs 15, on the other hand, might have some value if strength continues to increase, due to its originality.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

overlord wrote:For me it is difficult to understand what is the sense of commercial engines at all. It makes sense if commercial engines are much stronger that free ones. But could someone tell me why should buy new commercial engine, when king of the hill is freeware Stockfish with almost everyday updates. OK, to be fair, Fritz offers very good interface and playchess membership. It is worth the money. Chessbase should sell only GUI and membership, not a Fritz as an engine, because its value is zero.
the sense of a commercial chess engine is to be sold.
Hiarcs is an interesting chess engine with much knowledge. it plays different then houdini, komodo and stockfish.

you claim that stockfish is "the king of the hill".
i have no idea what you mean with this. maybe that you believe it is strong. or strongest. but some people disagree.
Some people say houdini is the strongest. and others say komodo is the strongest.

and here you have the reason why there are commercial chess engines.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
mclane

Post by mclane »

Ozymandias wrote:Exactly because its value is zero, do they sell it alongside the GUI. To get an extra 30€. If they sold the GUI separately, how many copies of the Fritz 14 engine do you think would be sold?

Hiarcs 15, on the other hand, might have some value if strength continues to increase, due to its originality.
Pandix, the engine in Fritz14 is a cool engine, and people are interesting in buying it. chessbase makes it possible to buy this program. therefore the people pay money.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

mclane wrote: the sense of a commercial chess engine is to be sold.
Hiarcs is an interesting chess engine with much knowledge. it plays different then houdini, komodo and stockfish.
It plays differently, and plays weaker. So personally I don't see the point in purchasing it.
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

People are interested in buying Pandix? I highly doubt that. First, only Gyula Horváth knows if this is Pandix or an Ippo derivative. Second, CB itself doesn't consider people's interest in Pandix, to be high enough to be sold under its own name. Third, the engine is bundled with a GUI.

"chessbase makes it possible to buy this program. therefore the people pay money."

You're saying that people buy something because it's sold? As a direct consequence? Just like that? Think it over.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Ozymandias wrote:You're saying that people buy something because it's sold? As a direct consequence? Just like that? Think it over.
Of course. People buy stuff because it is sold and marketed. The more you spend on marketing, the more you will sell of it. That is how market economies work.

Where do you live, that you don't seem know this?
mclane

Post by mclane »

Ozymandias wrote:People are interested in buying Pandix? I highly doubt that. First, only Gyula Horváth knows if this is Pandix or an Ippo derivative. Second, CB itself doesn't consider people's interest in Pandix, to be high enough to be sold under its own name. Third, the engine is bundled with a GUI.

"chessbase makes it possible to buy this program. therefore the people pay money."

You're saying that people buy something because it's sold? As a direct consequence? Just like that? Think it over.

thats called capitalism. people even want to buy things before they are on the market, sometimes they want to buy things because they think it is cheap , so cheap that they make a profit when buying it.

chessbase has established the FRITZ name and therefore they decided to continue using the name although the engine is not fritz (quest) anymore but pandix. this is also a marketing decision, not a decision by logic.

its all about making money.

take a look about the mobile phone market. almost each week a new mobile is coming on the market. new companies even sell products that you cannot buy (one plus one startup company selling a modified OPPO find7a mobile).
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

hgm wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:You're saying that people buy something because it's sold? As a direct consequence? Just like that? Think it over.
People buy stuff because it is sold and marketed.
He omitted the marketing bit, or any other consideration, for that matter. As he wrote it, all you need for your product to sell, is place it in the market.