Arena question

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

pkumar

Arena question

Post by pkumar »

I am using Arena 3.0 build 2542. When a gauntlet match with EPD start positions is set up between two engines, all positions are used twice (sides flipped) except the first which is used four times. Is this normal?
felix

Re: Arena question

Post by felix »

Hi Kumar

Is not normal. If you epd file is ok, maybe is time to upgraded to Arena 3.5

Regards
pkumar

Post by pkumar »

felix wrote:
If you epd file is ok, maybe is time to upgraded to Arena 3.5
Hi Felix,
I tried with Arena 3.5 . The problem with epd start positions persists. I used Dann Corbit's 'silent but deadly' epd positions. They look ok. I have seen it with other epd files as well. There is no problem with pgn start positions.

I wonder if this is due to an arena bug. The settings were gauntlet tournament between two engines at 80 moves/1 minute repeating. The epd file was selected by options>File>epdfile and options>Starting position>Load from PGN/EPD file, load sequentially. Have I missed something?

Regards
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

I have informed about this bug 5 years ago. It's also in Arena 3.5 so I gave up - too complicated to fix obviously :P.
Jouni
felix

Post by felix »

Hi Again

You are right. Same thing happening here :(
jdart

Post by jdart »

Winboard is a little more trouble to set up (IMO) but it is not buggy in this area. You might give it a try.

--Jon
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Any suggestion how this could be improved?
jdart

Post by jdart »

The fact that Winboard has command-line options, configuration files, and a UI makes it more complex than Arena.

And IMO Arena's engine management UI is easier to use. Winboard has the features you see in the "Manage Engines" dialog in Arena but that dialog is very clear and lets you configure everything in one place. In Winboard if you do "Edit Engine List" you just see the engines with their command-line options.

(Btw. though both are better than ChessBase/Fritz, which drives me nuts because there really is no "edit" function for engines - you have to make changes and save as an engine with a different name).

--Jon
phenri

Post by phenri »

Hi Jon,

Here is a script that allows to install a lot of engines from a same directory.

http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... 672#557672
phenri

Post by phenri »

jdart wrote: (Btw. though both are better than ChessBase/Fritz, which drives me nuts because there really is no "edit" function for engines - you have to make changes and save as an engine with a different name).

--Jon
OK I see, if you want to edit default settings of an engine, you can do so by directly editing the options file in %AppData%\ChessBase\Engines.UCI\ directory

Here is an example:

Code: Select all

[ENGINE]
Name=Stockfish_latest_syzygy
Author=Tord Romstad, Marco Costalba and Joona Kiiski
Filename=C:\Chess\stockfish\stockfish_latest_syzygy.exe
Priority=below normal
[OPTIONS]
Threads=4
Contempt Factor=20
Idle Threads Sleep=false
OwnBook=false