Reality or joke

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Guest71

Re: Reality or joke

Post by Guest71 »

the idea of combining two chess engine is good. You can take advantage of features "best" of two different engines. The problem is what are the best features objective of an engine?! and above all, how many hundreds of tests are needed to judge a combination "good" ... you should ask the person who first posted to the application, I think it is in Rybka forum with this link:
http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... pid=286301
michiguel

Re: Reality or joke

Post by michiguel »

Xann wrote:
cdani wrote:This idea of using two engines as one by selecting moves of one or another following i don't know which algorithm was in my long term list of ideas. Of course the algorithm can be optimized also by tests. I'm happy someone has done it.
I think it was the subject of Stefan Meyer-Kahlen's master's thesis (yes, in the 90's)! It was later added to Shredder GUI under the name "triple brain" (two engines + referee).
The first time I heard anything similar was from Ingo Althoefer, who posted a lot about it in r.g.c.c at the time, but the "third brain" was human.

Miguel