Other Operating System Poll

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

My main personal desktop is ?

Mac OS X
25%
Mint
22%
Ubuntu
19%
Fedora
16%
Debian
8%
Mageia / Mandriva
No votes
SuSE (any)
3%
BSD (any)
2%
Slackware
No votes
Cent
No votes
Arch
3%
Gentoo
3%

Total votes: 64

stevenaaus

Other Operating System Poll

Post by stevenaaus »

Please don't vote if your main personal desktop is Windows.
For the rest of us, I'm just wondering what OS/Distro people use.

OS X, Ubuntu, Fedora, SuSE, Slackware, Mint, Debian, any BSD ??
I confess to wanting to like Mint, and i have a special regard for OS X... but i havent moved on from Fedora 14 as my main desktop.
Isaac

Re: Other Operating System Poll

Post by Isaac »

stevenaaus wrote:Please don't vote if your main personal desktop is Windows.

I confess to wanting to like Mint, and i have a special regard for OS X... but i havent moved on from Fedora 14 as my main desktop.
I triple boot Windows XP (almost never use it), Ubuntu and lubuntu. I voted for Ubuntu.
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

Isaac wrote: I triple boot Windows XP (almost never use it), Ubuntu and lubuntu. I voted for Ubuntu.
I've never the Windows disease on my PC for over 5 years now. Not even on a dual boot basis.

Lununtu is really great. It's my second favorite after Ubuntu Gnome (i use Ubuntu gnome 13.10 now).

Fedora, i've tried, but found it very slow and painful. This SE linux hardwired into it is a disease. And their package mgt system is very broken. I gave up on Fedora. Maybe they fixed these problems since. But I doubt it. They have this attitude: it's not a bug, it's a feature...
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

I like Mint. I find it to be a good option for someone moving from Windows to Linux. My only need for Windows now is for the few engines that are not compatible with Wine.
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

I've recently left OS X for elementary OS.
stevenaaus

Post by stevenaaus »

Elementary OS (based on Ubuntu) looks interesting ; the dock is a nice resource underused on linux distros. But i find it hard to imagine that the apps have much maturity, or that it just won't die off shortly. There was an absolutely great commercial distro called Xandros that had some real go behind it, but it chugged outin 2013 after 6 or 7 years. These niche OSes just don't have critical mass.

Does anyone use Sabayon. Very unique/classy style.
K I Hyams

Post by K I Hyams »

stevenaaus wrote:Please don't vote if your main personal desktop is Windows.

I recently moved over to Linux and after looking at a number of flavors, Mint became my OS of choice. My problems is that I use Arena and I do not know of a convenient way to convert .cbv files to .pgn files in Mint. My Fritz 8 does not run well under Wine and the freeware Fritz 5.32 is even worse. Does anyone have a convenient way to convert .cbv to .pgn?
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

You need ChessBase to do that. From between that program, it's as simple as copy/paste (with a 2GB limit). Or you could try CB9 directly under Wine.
K I Hyams

Post by K I Hyams »

Ozymandias wrote:You need ChessBase to do that. From between that program, it's as simple as copy/paste (with a 2GB limit). Or you could try CB9 directly under Wine.
Thank you for that. My ideal solution would be a small script to carry out what ought to be a simple job. I guess that the trouble is that the.cbv code is not publicly available and so Chessbase Light may be one compromise.
pocopito

Post by pocopito »

I miss an "Others" option. All in all I've clicked on Gentoo because Sabayon is based on it.
So far Sabayon is the most reliable rolling release distro I've tested so far.

Best

E Diaz
Two first meanings of the dutch word "leren":
1. leren [vc] (learn, larn, acquire) acquire or gain knowledge or skills.
2. leren [v] (teach, learn, instruct) impart skills or knowledge to.