Fruit 1.0 anniversary

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Xann

Fruit 1.0 anniversary

Post by Xann »

Today is 2014-03-17.

Ten years ago, Fruit 1.0 was born. In honour of this occasion there will be two projects unveiled of which one is the following:

Daniel Mehrmann is initiating a "let's update Fruit" project called Fruit reloaded. It means what it looks like: add SMP to Fruit and upgrade search and evaluation with modern techniques. Daniel has already worked a lot on it with some help from Ryan Benitez. But he needs more contributors! Here is the GitHub page: https://github.com/Akusari/Fruit-reloaded-public I hope that some of you will join the effort. You can download a snapshot of the current development version at http://www.chessprogramming.net/fruit-reloaded/

Ryan is also preparing a Fruit-64 version for iOS. Fruit-64 is a bitboard chess program based on Fruit 2.2. Fruit-64 is heavily dependent on 64 bit hardware and will be released for iOS devices with A7 or newer hardware.

As for me, I wave goodbye to Fruit and am moving to new horizons which will be discussed in a separate thread.

Fabien.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: Fruit 1.0 anniversary

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Great news Fabien :D

Best regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
F. Bluemers

Re: snapshot

Post by F. Bluemers »

cg and welcome back

fruit reloaded:
http://www.geenvis.net/RESULT.HTM

Best
Fonzy
jpqy

Post by jpqy »

Thank you very much :!:

Again new engines to play with..fantastic :wink:

Kind regards,
JP.
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Great news Fabien :D

Best regards,
Dr.D
+1
Henrik Dinesen

Post by Henrik Dinesen »

Being absent from here for some years it's some nice news to return to !

Fruit's always been a special engine and I still have the old versions in my GUI's ready to take part in the analysis. That said, a Fruit reloaded to use the cores on the machine(s) is definately good news.

I'll soon take a course to learn to distinguish between the numbers 0 and 9, so it may last a while before I can contribute with the developement ... Maybe 2114.

... looking forward to that other tread too, Fabien.

Best,
Henrik
Henrik
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Post by Sven »

Henrik Dinesen wrote:... looking forward to that other tread too
look here
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Post by Sven »

Hi Fabien,

welcome back :-) I really appreciate your new computer chess activities, and I wish you a lot of fun!

Sven
Henrik Dinesen

Post by Henrik Dinesen »

Thank you Sven :)
Henrik
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

Xann wrote:Today is 2014-03-17
Today is a good day for computer chess!

I downloaded senpai and give it a quick look (I will read it careful with time), I found a sense of familiarity and deja vu and I realized from where all this started: Fruit then Glaurung then Stockfish. Without your great engine even the engine I and other people work on would have not existed. IMHO you are one of the very few that really contributed to computer chess, one of the very few that opened a path that other people have followed.

So the news that you still have the will to dedicate time to this hobby is really a great news for all the community.

Sorry if now I ask a stupid technical question, but it is years that it bothers me. The random numbers of Polyglot book are really random or do you remember how you generated them? Eventually I'd like to use the original pseudo-random generator instead of copy the verbatim as are now:

https://github.com/mcostalba/Stockfish/ ... c/book.cpp

Thanks for your answer.