Muller, Hyatt, Schroder and other elderly

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

pkumar

Re: Muller, Hyatt, Schroder and other elderly

Post by pkumar »

Someday someone might ask "do you remember Hyatt and Muller", and the young will answer, "who"
Great contributors never really fade away from collective memory - look at the list of references in scientific papers.
rbarreira

Post by rbarreira »

kgburcham wrote:Most here are tired of reading how the old programmers feel.
When these three have gone to shoot pool with St. Peter then the young and new wont have these same feelings and complaints.
I wonder how the young and new will manage their tournaments.
I wonder if the young and new will care about reverse engineering.
I wonder if the young and new will use words like "stealing code".
The next 5 years will be interesting.
Muller and Hyatt---I suspect that most of what you say is true, I suspect that most of your ideas and opinions are correct but do you really expect the young and new to care about your complaints?
Someday someone might ask "do you remember Hyatt and Muller", and the young will answer, "who"
kgburcham
I do not like you.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

If I was looking for fame, I obviously would not waste my time on a silly game like Chess. It is a hobby, nothing more. How many people get remembered because of their hobby?
sicilianquake87

Post by sicilianquake87 »

The time where you did what you're best at is over.
Someone spitting venom is annoying but harmless. He won't achieve anything. The real harm is done by nicely worded venom. (Ronald de Man)
A Distel

Post by A Distel »

hgm wrote:If I was looking for fame, I obviously would not waste my time on a silly game like Chess. It is a hobby, nothing more. How many people get remembered because of their hobby?
If you think chess is a big pain in the ass, try different positions. :idea:
The road to chaos is filled with political correctness.
― Tadros
Bloodbane

Post by Bloodbane »

emadsen wrote:
The young and new do not care about the complaints of the old.
Don't speak for me. I respect the older programmers here. I value their contribution to computer chess. And I agree with their ethics- which you derisively call "complaints."
Most here are tired of reading how the elderly old feel.
This is such a poser comment. If you haven't written an original chess engine you shouldn't be commenting on the feelings of people who have.
This is pretty much what I think as well. Only those who start from Ivanhoe or Stockfish could think that the "elderly" don't matter or that they will be forgotten. I myself created an engine from scratch. It is about 2500 elo. I've done a lot of reading on computer chess and usually Hyatt, Dailey and other "elderly" are the people explaining things and answering questions. Hyatt has done this for decades. I personally will never forget the names of my teachers. I hope nobody else is going to either.

EDIT: also tournament organization is fine as it is. There is a lot more to the WCCC/computer Olympiad than just finding out the strongest program. It is mainly an event for exchanging ideas. Cloners have nothing to contribute and therefore should not be there.
Functional programming combines the flexibility and power of abstract mathematics with the intuitive clarity of abstract mathematics.
https://github.com/mAarnos
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

Bloodbane wrote: Only those who start from Ivanhoe or Stockfish could think that the "elderly" don't matter or that they will be forgotten.
How about I belong to that group,
I assure you it is not my thought.

There is not much derivative, such much exaggeration, how about Ippolit derivate?,
How about Stockfish derivate? .

My utmost respect for those people, I always read your posts.
I do not know you you base that statement.
Bloodbane

Post by Bloodbane »

Could != will. What I mean is that even if you derive from Stock or Ivan you might have respect for the "elderly"(just like you, for which you have my respect even though it might not matter much) but this is always not the case. Why those people who derive things could have no respect is because they might think "Crafty is so much weaker than Ivanhoe, there is nothing to be learned there or from Hyatt's posts. In fact, Hyatt knows nothing. Otherwise his engine would be stronger than mine". Hope that clears it up.
Functional programming combines the flexibility and power of abstract mathematics with the intuitive clarity of abstract mathematics.
https://github.com/mAarnos
gbtami

Post by gbtami »

kgburcham wrote:Most here are tired of reading how the old programmers feel.
When these three have gone to shoot pool with St. Peter then the young and new wont have these same feelings and complaints.
I wonder how the young and new will manage their tournaments.
I wonder if the young and new will care about reverse engineering.
I wonder if the young and new will use words like "stealing code".
The next 5 years will be interesting.
Muller and Hyatt---I suspect that most of what you say is true, I suspect that most of your ideas and opinions are correct but do you really expect the young and new to care about your complaints?
kgburcham
Fortunately this forum is not limited for under 18.
If you are tired, have a rest :)
kgburcham

Post by kgburcham »

emadsen wrote:
The young and new do not care about the complaints of the old.
Don't speak for me. I respect the older programmers here. I value their contribution to computer chess. And I agree with their ethics- which you derisively call "complaints."
Most here are tired of reading how the old programmers feel.
This is such a poser comment. If you haven't written an original chess engine you shouldn't be commenting on the feelings of people who have.
What is your program Rated?
What are you waiting on to get to the top?
Why are you waiting so long to improve your program?
I think I have seen your avatar here for a while, you are not new.
We have no indication that you are capable of writing a 3200elo program.

I see you don't understand the thread.
Many programmers here are not in the race to the top, of course they contribute, of course they are respected, we need all levels.
kgburcham