Hiarcs withdraws from TCEC Season 6

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Martin Thoresen

Hiarcs withdraws from TCEC Season 6

Post by Martin Thoresen » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:33 pm

Mark Uniacke has withdrawn Hiarcs 14 from TCEC. Since Mark provided H14 for free for TCEC for the previous Seasons, TCEC does not wish to ignore this request and therefore it will be withdrawn. A replacement engine will be announced soon.

overlord

Re: Hiarcs withdraws from TCEC Season 6

Post by overlord » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:48 pm

I guess that reason is clear to everyone. It is hard to sell something what is far far worse than something free :D

Modern Times

Post by Modern Times » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:58 pm

overlord wrote:I guess that reason is clear to everyone. It is hard to sell something what is far far worse than something free :D
Yes, agreed.

Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:18 pm

Martin Thoresen wrote:Mark Uniacke has withdrawn Hiarcs 14 from TCEC. Since Mark provided H14 for free for TCEC for the previous Seasons, TCEC does not wish to ignore this request and therefore it will be withdrawn. A replacement engine will be announced soon.
Sorry to hear that.
Hiarcs is a very fine engine, despite not being amongst the top few in the field.

All the best with the tournament.
My email addresses:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
gbanksnz at yahoo.co.nz

fern

Post by fern » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:05 pm

worse in what?
Maybe in engine Vs engines matches.
I am not an engine so I look for interesting and strong engines to play and Hiarcs has the adequate mix. Other engines could be a bit stronger, but a boring thing to play on.
Sorry, but I still do not forget that chess is for human pleasure.

Fern

ouachita
Full name: Bobby Johnson

Post by ouachita » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:08 pm

Martin Thoresen wrote:Mark Uniacke has withdrawn Hiarcs 14 from TCEC.
Wise move; it had no chance.
SIM, PhD, MBA, PE

Bloodbane

Post by Bloodbane » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:25 pm

overlord wrote:I guess that reason is clear to everyone. It is hard to sell something what is far far worse than something free :D
I don't think that is the reason, because if it was why was H14 a participant last season?
Functional programming combines the flexibility and power of abstract mathematics with the intuitive clarity of abstract mathematics.
https://github.com/mAarnos

michiguel

Post by michiguel » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:57 pm

Martin Thoresen wrote:Mark Uniacke has withdrawn Hiarcs 14 from TCEC. Since Mark provided H14 for free for TCEC for the previous Seasons, TCEC does not wish to ignore this request and therefore it will be withdrawn. A replacement engine will be announced soon.
Bummer. Among the old guard commercials, it was the one who displayed the most interesting game, and the most competitive one in the last two seasons. That is, it was the harder bone to chew for the big three. I really do not understand this decision.

In the future, maybe you can buy the engines with money from the donations (if there is anything left). Then, you will be independent to use/not use whatever engine you like.

Miguel

Modern Times

Post by Modern Times » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:26 pm

Bloodbane wrote:
I don't think that is the reason, because if it was why was H14 a participant last season?
Maybe their sales took a hit after that.

jd1

Post by jd1 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:44 pm

Wow, that's a surprise! Hiarcs did quite well in previous TCEC seasons, will be a pity not to see it this time.

Jerry