Performance of Syzygy and Scorpio

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

RJN

Re: Performance of Syzygy and Scorpio

Post by RJN »

Question for anyone: Why does Arena 3.0 not display tbhits? I send the tbhits along with info pv move ... etc but nothing appears.
I can only speak for H3 using Scorpio "old" EGBB on Arena 3.0, but TB hits were reported (I assume accurately) then, and with Arena 3.5 as well when I just checked it.

FWIW, I did see on H3 where an out of memory error would be reported upon engine start if the Scorpio cache was over 256MB, on a 16GB machine using only 4GB hash. Gaviota and Nalimov was able to go to the max of 1GB with no unexpected memory consumption.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Laskos wrote:
Daniel Shawul wrote:I compiled an x64-windows binary for Stockfish and Scorpio as well.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/552 ... ngines.zip

Two egbbdlls are also included, so you can move those to the egbb directory and replace the ones you dowloaded.
It doesn't really matter much for the test but it avoids some memory leaks. I can compile a 32 binary if you need it.
SF hangs, after asking for some dll-s from Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 Update 4, which I installed.
That problem again. Does Scorpio also hang? Otherwise I would use the same project file as Scorpio and compile Stockfish again.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Daniel Shawul wrote:
Laskos wrote:
Daniel Shawul wrote:I compiled an x64-windows binary for Stockfish and Scorpio as well.

Two egbbdlls are also included, so you can move those to the egbb directory and replace the ones you dowloaded.
It doesn't really matter much for the test but it avoids some memory leaks. I can compile a 32 binary if you need it.
SF hangs, after asking for some dll-s from Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 Update 4, which I installed.
That problem again. Does Scorpio also hang? Otherwise I would use the same project file as Scorpio and compile Stockfish again.
Scorpio is OK.
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

Daniel Shawul wrote:
Question for anyone: Why does Arena 3.0 not display tbhits? I send the tbhits along with info pv move ... etc but nothing appears.
Engines..
Configure analisys engine output...
Tablebases usage...
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Laskos wrote:
Daniel Shawul wrote:
Laskos wrote:

Scorpio is OK.
Please try again. If it doesn't work, I have to dig deeper to see which other option should be set. I compiled using the XP toolset for Visual Studio 2012 but maybe there are other options that copying a project won't bring.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

velmarin wrote:
Daniel Shawul wrote:
Engines..
Configure analisys engine output...
Tablebases usage...
Thanks Jose. Indeed it was disabled. I am new to this UCI stuff so I have to find my way through. Stockfish still doesn't display it but I am sure now I can fix it.

Edit: Actually it does display it now. I was running the default stockfish without EGBBs.
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

Daniel Shawul wrote: Please try again. If it doesn't work, I have to dig deeper to see which other option should be set. I compiled using the XP toolset for Visual Studio 2012 but maybe there are other options that copying a project won't bring.
In Properties:

Use de MFC in static library --- ON
In C/C++:
--code generation
---Runtyme library Multi-threaded(/MT)

Probe.
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

syzygy wrote:
Laskos wrote:Syzygy WDL doesn't help SF at all.
That's a bit surprising as SF in such positions only probes WDL after a capture or pawn move. The probes after a capture into a 4-piece position probably won't help compared to default SF (since default SF most likely evaluates those 4-piece positions perfectly anyway), but those after pawn moves should be of benefit.
Actually, SF+WDL currently does not probe after pawn moves in this situation. It only probes after captures. So for positions with high DTC (distance to conversion) SF+WDL will not do much better than default SF. (It should still help to avoid playing an immediate drawing move from a won position.)

This is a bit annoying to fix, since SF insists on the 50-move counter being hidden from most of the engine.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Daniel Shawul wrote:
Laskos wrote:
Daniel Shawul wrote:
Laskos wrote:

Scorpio is OK.
Please try again. If it doesn't work, I have to dig deeper to see which other option should be set. I compiled using the XP toolset for Visual Studio 2012 but maybe there are other options that copying a project won't bring.
Seems to be working now.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

velmarin wrote:
Daniel Shawul wrote: Please try again. If it doesn't work, I have to dig deeper to see which other option should be set. I compiled using the XP toolset for Visual Studio 2012 but maybe there are other options that copying a project won't bring.
In Properties:

Use de MFC in static library --- ON
In C/C++:
--code generation
---Runtyme library Multi-threaded(/MT)

Probe.
I have that as Multi-threaded DLL for Scorpio as well, that worked. I suppose that Kai is quiet means the new compiles work.
Thanks