New XBoard feature: ICS Console

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mohzus

Re: New XBoard feature: ICS Console

Post by mohzus »

Hmm I think there's a bug. Right now I'm talking to a particular person in a private chat window. All the text I send to him are written in that chat window, but what he writes to me is not. I have to read his text from the ICS background.
That's the first or second time it happens.

Maybe it has to do with his name? It contains a mix of lower and upper case letters. But I've tested to match his exact name, with the proper cases and it still doesn't work as usual.
Hmm...
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

If it does not always happen, it would be very helpful to know what the conditions were under which it happened. E.g. did you have any other chats open, and were some of those assigned to shouts or channels?

Can it be that this person had an unusually large number of titles appended to his name? (like "Johnny(TM)(GM)(C)(*)(49)")?
mohzus

Post by mohzus »

hgm wrote:If it does not always happen, it would be very helpful to know what the conditions were under which it happened. E.g. did you have any other chats open, and were some of those assigned to shouts or channels?

Can it be that this person had an unusually large number of titles appended to his name? (like "Johnny(TM)(GM)(C)(*)(49)")?
No, I had no other chat opened. His nickname is AcCoNcIo.
At one moment I had opened a chat window with acconcio and with AcCoNcIo. I could speak to him from both, but when he replied to me, it was to acconcio only. But that was when I could receive messages from him in the chat window.
If it happens again I will take a screenshot.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

The comparison with the Chat Partner field of the chatboxes in not case sensitive. (The ICS is also not case sensitive for this.) So as far as XBoard is concerned acconcio, AcCoNcIo and ACCONCIO are all the same person. The message goes to the first chatbox that matches, and then XBoard doesn't look any further. I cannot imagine any legitimate use for having more than one chat open for the same person. So if any fix is needed it should be that it refuses a name in the Chat Partner field for which you already have a box open. Not for making it appear in multiple chat windows.