ChessGUI 0.245f is available

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Post Reply
User avatar
JuLieN
Posts: 2948
Joined: Mon May 05, 2008 10:16 am
Location: Nantes (France)
Contact:

Re: ChessGUI 0.245f is available

Post by JuLieN » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:12 am

[moderation]
A branch starting with an unnecessary insult and its subsequent answers was pruned.
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
Image [Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]

User avatar
Matthias Gemuh
Posts: 3238
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:10 am
Contact:

Re: ChessGUI 0.245f is available

Post by Matthias Gemuh » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:51 am

Martin Thoresen wrote: Graham, Graham... mediation requires a conflict - which I fail to find here.

There is a lot of people deserving some kind of special color in the chat - unfortunately the chat it is limited to 1 extra category excluding the admin (myself). For Season 2, this category was called "Season 2 Participant" in order to inform people in the chat that the green chatters were in fact authors of a participating engine. Hence, all other people who were not a programmer of the participating engines were removed from this list.

For Season 3 I have decided to call this group "VIP" in order to add more people to it. Matthias can be added if he still wants to, of course.

I have nothing more to add to this.
A participating engine (that plays only some games in Stage 1 only) qualifies for "Season 2 Participant" in all stages, but a participating GUI (that actually plays each game in all stages) doesn't qualify for "Season 2 Participant" ?
Then how did I even get a green colour in Stage 1 of Season 2 ?
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de

Martin Thoresen
Posts: 1833
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:07 pm

Re: ChessGUI 0.245f is available

Post by Martin Thoresen » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:04 am

Matthias Gemuh wrote: A participating engine (that plays only some games in Stage 1 only) qualifies for "Season 2 Participant" in all stages, but a participating GUI (that actually plays each game in all stages) doesn't qualify for "Season 2 Participant" ?
Then how did I even get a green colour in Stage 1 of Season 2 ?
For Season 3 I have decided to call this group "VIP" in order to add more people to it. Matthias can be added if he still wants to, of course.

Tom Likens
Posts: 303
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:18 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: ChessGUI 0.245f is available

Post by Tom Likens » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:01 pm

Matthias Gemuh wrote:ChessGUI 0.245f is available

... now supports Sysygy.


Matthias.
Hello Matthias,

I'm curious what toolkit did you use to write ChessGUI? The reason I ask is because I'm wondering if you'll ever produce a Linux version. I know the odds are against it, but depending on the toolkit it may be possible (e.g. Qt or wxWidgets would both be easy to port).

regards,
--tom

Vinvin
Posts: 4378
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:40 am
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Re: ChessGUI 0.245f is available

Post by Vinvin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:14 pm

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
hgm wrote:...
Well, for whom it is of any interest, there exists a simple pairing algorithm that works for any number of players (and can even be applied in real OTB tourneys without the aid of any computer):

Put all (N) Chess boards on a long table, ... .
Thanks for the algo ! I shall surely stare more closely at it when improving the pairing algos in ChessGUI.
More here if you want : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round-robi ... _algorithm

User avatar
Matthias Gemuh
Posts: 3238
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:10 am
Contact:

Re: ChessGUI 0.245f is available

Post by Matthias Gemuh » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:20 pm

Vinvin wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote: Thanks for the algo ! I shall surely stare more closely at it when improving the pairing algos in ChessGUI.
More here if you want : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round-robi ... _algorithm
Thanks ! 8-)
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de

User avatar
Matthias Gemuh
Posts: 3238
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:10 am
Contact:

Re: ChessGUI 0.245f is available

Post by Matthias Gemuh » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:35 pm

Tom Likens wrote: Hello Matthias,

I'm curious what toolkit did you use to write ChessGUI? The reason I ask is because I'm wondering if you'll ever produce a Linux version. I know the odds are against it, but depending on the toolkit it may be possible (e.g. Qt or wxWidgets would both be easy to port).

regards,
--tom
Hi Tom,
the 100%-unportable thing was coded using ancient Borland C++ Builder 5, which has its own VCL (Visual Component Library).
A very strong programmer once tried to port the thing to Linux but failed, and since then things have become much worse.
Best,
Matthias.
My engine was quite strong till I added knowledge to it.
http://www.chess.hylogic.de

Tom Likens
Posts: 303
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:18 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: ChessGUI 0.245f is available

Post by Tom Likens » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:46 pm

Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Tom Likens wrote: Hello Matthias,

I'm curious what toolkit did you use to write ChessGUI? The reason I ask is because I'm wondering if you'll ever produce a Linux version. I know the odds are against it, but depending on the toolkit it may be possible (e.g. Qt or wxWidgets would both be easy to port).

regards,
--tom
Hi Tom,
the 100%-unportable thing was coded using ancient Borland C++ Builder 5, which has its own VCL (Visual Component Library).
A very strong programmer once tried to port the thing to Linux but failed, and since then things have become much worse.
Best,
Matthias.
Hey Matthias,

Well, I certainly wasn't volunteering and I was definitely signing you up for the work, (generously
though, I *was* going to double what you've been getting paid so far to work on it!) :)

Ah well...

sad regards from Linux-land,
--tom

mcostalba
Posts: 2684
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:17 pm

Re: ChessGUI 0.245f is available

Post by mcostalba » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:47 pm

hgm wrote: There is a clear standard for how scores should be reported, however (centiPawn), both in WB protocol and UCI. If engines report scores that should be multiplied by a fixed factor to be meaningfully compared with other engine scores, these engines are non-compliant, and should be fixed.
You have the obnoxious attitude to talk about thinks you ignore, throwing in your idea and erroneously think this must be the reality.

Of course you have also the arrogance to never reconsider what you have said previously after people explains to you, but I already know very well these 2 fellows (hand-waving and presumption) go always hand in hand.


P.S: Your argumentation about scores as probability of winning are completely off and confirm you don't know how engines are tuned/developed.

User avatar
hgm
Posts: 23723
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:06 am
Location: Amsterdam
Full name: H G Muller
Contact:

Re: ChessGUI 0.245f is available

Post by hgm » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:06 pm

Well, if I see the quote and your reaction to it side by side, I cannot help noticing how much more sense my statement makes than yours. If anything is wrong with the quoted statement at all, I hope that someone can explain what exactly that is, rather than just ranting about how much he dislikes it / me.

In fact it is very hard for me to distill any sense from what you say whatsoever, other than that you consider something to be obnoxious. Which seems to be your general attitute towards life, so no big surprise there...

Post Reply