Be careful where you buy Houdini 4, or you could get burned

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Houdini

Re: Be careful where you buy Houdini 4, or you could get bur

Post by Houdini »

Tom Likens wrote:
Houdini wrote:2) Apparently you have a ChessBase Houdini 3 version that is not operational.
That is very much unacceptable, did you contact the ChessBase support for this?
No. I run Linux and wine and it seems that wine doesn't really handle the ChessBase interface very well. I honestly didn't feel like opening that can of worms with the ChessBase people, since most Windows-only companies wash their hands of Linux. I see from your website that the version you sell directly is supposed to be wine compatible, so that may be acceptable. But iff I can run Houdini as a standalone program under wine via cutechess-cli and Xboard. Does that work?
OK, it is unfortunate that your original post suggested that "other companies that are packaging Houdini" do not care for their customers - it's difficult for them to do anything if you don't contact them.

For Houdini's installation in Linux + Wine there is a topic in the installation manual, see http://www.cruxis.com/chess/manual/inst ... _linux.htm .
I hope this helps, if not I suggest that we continue the discussion by e-mail.

Cheers,
Robert

P.S. I do apologize for the useless and puerile interventions that have appeared in this thread (and have now mostly been removed by the moderator team). In this forum a part of the population will jump on any occasion that presents itself to attack and defile Houdini or anything associated with it. It makes any serious discussion about Houdini difficult.
Tom Likens

Post by Tom Likens »

Houdini wrote:OK, it is unfortunate that your original post suggested that "other companies that are packaging Houdini" do not care for their customers - it's difficult for them to do anything if you don't contact them.
Never my intent, I'm sure the people at ChessBase are dedicated and conscientious about their jobs. I've just dealt with too many Windows-Only companies that punt whenever Linux is mentioned, (you can actually hear their eyes glazing over across the phone). After a while it's simply not worth the effort to educate them.
P.S. I do apologize for the useless and puerile interventions that have appeared in this thread (and have now mostly been removed by the moderator team). In this forum a part of the population will jump on any occasion that presents itself to attack and defile Houdini or anything associated with it. It makes any serious discussion about Houdini difficult.
No worries, it's what makes our cloistered community so lively. And I've got a thick skin, so most of it washes over me. If I have any further issues I'll likely just send you an email or PM.

regards,
--tom
rcmaddox
Full name: Robert C. Maddox

Post by rcmaddox »

You should still be able to use the Houdini engine using a different interface. I'm not using Linux so I can't speak to what will work.
kranium

Post by kranium »

Tom Likens wrote:
Houdini wrote:OK, it is unfortunate that your original post suggested that "other companies that are packaging Houdini" do not care for their customers - it's difficult for them to do anything if you don't contact them.
Never my intent, I'm sure the people at ChessBase are dedicated and conscientious about their jobs. I've just dealt with too many Windows-Only companies that punt whenever Linux is mentioned, (you can actually hear their eyes glazing over across the phone). After a while it's simply not worth the effort to educate them.
No worries, it's what makes our cloistered community so lively. And I've got a thick skin, so most of it washes over me. If I have any further issues I'll likely just send you an email or PM.

regards,
--tom
Sorry to hear of your troubles Tom...

but I'm sure it's nothing a (good will) free copy from the author couldn't rectify!

In any event-
Best regards
Norm

(a long time Nashua resident)
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

To reassure all the kind, helpful people on this forum, here's Tom's latest mail (I hope he won't mind my posting it here):

FYI -- I just received Houdini 4 and I've got it working under Linux Mint 13, (essentially Ubuntu 12.04 LTS) using wine64 with Xboard. Very nice. It makes up for most of my trials and tribulations with ChessBase's version of Houdini 3.
I'm going to tune the setup (via a polyglot .ini file) and once I have all the bells and whistles working I'll send you an update with all the info, in case you'd like to include it in your online manual as another example of how it can be used under Linux.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Robert - Out of curiosity, what's the ratio of sales for H4 vs H4 Pro? ( or H3 vs H3 Pro). Thanks!
Houdini

Post by Houdini »

Mark wrote:Robert - Out of curiosity, what's the ratio of sales for H4 vs H4 Pro? ( or H3 vs H3 Pro). Thanks!
Mark, I'm afraid I cannot disclose this information, sorry.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Houdini wrote:
Mark wrote:Robert - Out of curiosity, what's the ratio of sales for H4 vs H4 Pro? ( or H3 vs H3 Pro). Thanks!
Mark, I'm afraid I cannot disclose this information, sorry.
Quite all right, Robert. (I didn't think the ratio was business sensitive, or I wouldn't have even asked.)
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

Houdini wrote:
Tom Likens wrote: No. I run Linux and wine and it seems that wine doesn't really handle the ChessBase interface very well. I honestly didn't feel like opening that can of worms with the ChessBase people, since most Windows-only companies wash their hands of Linux. I see from your website that the version you sell directly is supposed to be wine compatible, so that may be acceptable. But if I can run Houdini as a standalone program under wine via cutechess-cli and Xboard. Does that work?
[snip]For Houdini's installation in Linux + Wine there is a topic in the installation manual, see http://www.cruxis.com/chess/manual/inst ... _linux.htm .
[/snip]
The Chessbase GUI may not work under wine but the Houdini UCI will likely run with Wine and Linux and another GUI.

I'd tested Houdini 1.5 with wine in 2011 and was running it wrapped in a cmd.exe shell:

Code: Select all

wine cmd.exe /K Houdini_15a_x64.exe
But first try the simpler

wine Houdini_15a_x64.exe

~/Desktop/chess$ wine Houdini_15a_x64.exe 
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation 0x340000 0 0x22fcb0 4
Houdini 1.5a x64
(c) 2010-11 Robert Houdart

info string 128 MB Hash
go depth 5
info multipv 1 depth 4 seldepth 18 score cp 5  time 5 nodes 1758 nps 351000 tbhits 0 hashfull 0 pv g1f3 g8f6 b1c3 b8c6 d2d3 e7e6
info multipv 1 depth 5 seldepth 18 score cp 5  time 6 nodes 2057 nps 342000 tbhits 0 hashfull 0 pv g1f3 g8f6 b1c3 b8c6 d2d3 e7e6
info multipv 1 depth 5 seldepth 18 score cp 5  time 8 nodes 3025 nps 378000 tbhits 0 hashfull 0 pv g1f3 g8f6 b1c3 b8c6 d2d3 e7e6
bestmove g1f3 ponder g8f6
quit
In Linux GUI's, Scid for example, 'wine' is your command and 'Houdini.exe' is a parameter.
Tom Likens

Post by Tom Likens »

Jesse Gersenson wrote:
Houdini wrote:
Tom Likens wrote: No. I run Linux and wine and it seems that wine doesn't really handle the ChessBase interface very well. I honestly didn't feel like opening that can of worms with the ChessBase people, since most Windows-only companies wash their hands of Linux. I see from your website that the version you sell directly is supposed to be wine compatible, so that may be acceptable. But if I can run Houdini as a standalone program under wine via cutechess-cli and Xboard. Does that work?
[snip]For Houdini's installation in Linux + Wine there is a topic in the installation manual, see http://www.cruxis.com/chess/manual/inst ... _linux.htm .
[/snip]
The Chessbase GUI may not work under wine but the Houdini UCI will likely run with Wine and Linux and another GUI.

I'd tested Houdini 1.5 with wine in 2011 and was running it wrapped in a cmd.exe shell:

wine cmd.exe /K Houdini_15a_x64.exe
But first try the simpler

wine Houdini_15a_x64.exe

~/Desktop/chess$ wine Houdini_15a_x64.exe 
fixme:heap:HeapSetInformation 0x340000 0 0x22fcb0 4
Houdini 1.5a x64
(c) 2010-11 Robert Houdart

info string 128 MB Hash
go depth 5
info multipv 1 depth 4 seldepth 18 score cp 5  time 5 nodes 1758 nps 351000 tbhits 0 hashfull 0 pv g1f3 g8f6 b1c3 b8c6 d2d3 e7e6
info multipv 1 depth 5 seldepth 18 score cp 5  time 6 nodes 2057 nps 342000 tbhits 0 hashfull 0 pv g1f3 g8f6 b1c3 b8c6 d2d3 e7e6
info multipv 1 depth 5 seldepth 18 score cp 5  time 8 nodes 3025 nps 378000 tbhits 0 hashfull 0 pv g1f3 g8f6 b1c3 b8c6 d2d3 e7e6
bestmove g1f3 ponder g8f6
quit
In Linux GUI's, Scid for example, 'wine' is your command and 'Houdini.exe' is a parameter.
Thank you for the suggestions, but I think the problem is related to the (non)activation of Houdini 3. The activation software ChessBase packaged with the software doesn't seem to work under Linux+wine. I tried both the standalone activation wizard and activating it through the Fritz 13 GUI. While it *seems* to work, that's an illusion. I haven't bothered to try it under a true Windows system. I may yet, since I have one dual boot machine that has Windows 7 on it, but it's not a high priority. Even if it did work, that would be interesting but totally useless for me since I avoid Windows whenever possible.

BTW, I bought Houdini 4 directly from Robert's website and it activates and runs fine under wine. So, until someone proves otherwise, I still believe the issue is in the ChessBase software.