Don Dailey, 1956 -2013

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Marek Soszynski

Re: Don Dailey, 1956 -2013

Post by Marek Soszynski »

Niech spoczywa w pokoju (May he rest in peace)
Marek Soszynski
bob

Post by bob »

This is always a miserable topic. And repeated FAR too many times. I've made lots of friends through computer chess over the years, and each time this happens, it is painful...

May he rest in peace.
fern

Post by fern »

I hope Don was right and there is another world where he will enjoy the eternal light and love of God.
I wonder if we can do something else beyond just say a good bye in a thread.
I have no more words to say. I felt very near Don because the many post and mail we shared and even when we discussed about lot of things I felt near him
Now I know that, as me, Don was born in humble conditions and was a man without scholarly titles and even so he fought to get prestige as a programmer of first class.

I hope we will meet again.

Fern
jdart

Post by jdart »

Sorry to hear of his passing. He had an impressive list of accomplishments.

I have a relative who is a leukemia survivor (cancer-free so far but with a lot of lingering side effects from the treatment). It is a tough thing to fight.

--Jon
Jamal Bubker

Post by Jamal Bubker »

My sincere condolences to Don's family. Jehovah won't forget you Don !
Jamal Bubker

Post by Jamal Bubker »

My sincere condolences to Don's family. Jehovah won't forget you Don !
Norm Pollock

Post by Norm Pollock »

Sorry to hear of Don's passing. My condolences to his family. He was a great contributor to computer chess.

Some cancerous blood diseases can be fought off if there is a successful protocol, it is caught at the early stages, and the patient is willing to go through the treatment.
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Don Dailey was one of the giants in computer chess. It is amazing that he had such a huge comeback with Doch and Komodo to write one of the strongest if not the strongest chess program of all times.

You can see Don at the WCCC 1986 Video at 1:15 with Sam Sloan in Rex vs. Shess, and around 9:16 during the "famous" Awit - Rex game. At the WCCC 1999 Video by Thorsten Czub from 23:40, Don, Charles Leiserson and Erdo in Hiarcs vs Cilkchess. Here is another WCCC 1999 Photo with Vincent Diepeveen and Charles Leiserson:

My condolences to Don's family and friends.

Gerd
Last edited by Gerd Isenberg on Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan Brouwer

Post by Jan Brouwer »

My condolences to Don's family and friends.
The impression he left on me was one of integrity.

Jan
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Thank you Don for all you have done. I still have copies of the old ICD Chess Reports (stored somewhere). Socrates was one of my first chess programs purchased. I remember the advertisement saying it was knowledge based (Inference engine? My memory is faulty). So much time has passed and I still remember those early days fondly. Where has the time gone? Don, you will be missed, but always a part of our memories and always a part of early chess engine history.
“He knew all the tricks, dramatic irony, metaphor, pathos, puns, parody, litotes and... satire. He was vicious”