Houdini can beat Carlsen even if he takes any 3 moves back!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

George

Re: Houdini can beat Carlsen even if he takes any 3 moves ba

Post by George »

fern wrote:Maybe so
And I can win Carlsen If I am aloud ed to 30 moves back.

Fern
You must be a bad player because I only need 29 takeback moves to beat Carlsen :lol:
fern

Post by fern »

Surely I am a bad player....
BTW, yesterday I played against Kasparov Gambit, an old prigram by Dauley and others.
Very funny
Kasparov look at you and from time to time -a video- he talks to you to you about the game.
It is 2100 strong I believe and I got a draw even if with advantage for me, but I was deadly tired. So I offered the draw and Kasp accepted.
Kasparov Gambit can be got in a site called abandonia....

Fern
fern

Post by fern »

No, wrong, this is the site to get kasp:

http://www.myabandonware.com/game/kasparovs-gambit-1zl
rcmaddox
Full name: Robert C. Maddox

Post by rcmaddox »

Adam Hair wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:According to what I've just read in TCEC, Houdini defeated Carlsen +6 =4 -0 in a 10 game match?
I believe that this is Robert Houdart's estimation of the result if Carlsen and Houdini played a 10 game match. There was a short video interview of Robert for a Norwegian show on chess (if I understood correctly) in which he gave that estimation. Unfortunately, I do not have the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj188KNjQL4
George

Post by George »

rcmaddox wrote:
Adam Hair wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:According to what I've just read in TCEC, Houdini defeated Carlsen +6 =4 -0 in a 10 game match?
I believe that this is Robert Houdart's estimation of the result if Carlsen and Houdini played a 10 game match. There was a short video interview of Robert for a Norwegian show on chess (if I understood correctly) in which he gave that estimation. Unfortunately, I do not have the link.
This is probably on equal time control, but if houdini is given 45 seconds per move whereas Carlsen is allowed 45 minutes per move, Carlsen will beat Houdini with no takeback moves.
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

Houdini plays the Spanish opening, Carlsen plays the Berlin defense and draws.
Carlsen plays the Spanish opening, Houdini plays the Berlin defense, Carlsen plays his "orange juice without sugar" variation and draws.

So the match would end 6-6, with 12 draws, unless Houdini outplays Carlsen with a good opening book, then it would be 11,5-0,5 for Houdini. Yes, Carlsen can draw at least 1 game.
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931
George

Post by George »

Ponti wrote:Houdini plays the Spanish opening, Carlsen plays the Berlin defense and draws.
Carlsen plays the Spanish opening, Houdini plays the Berlin defense, Carlsen plays his "orange juice without sugar" variation and draws.

So the match would end 6-6, with 12 draws, unless Houdini outplays Carlsen with a good opening book, then it would be 11,5-0,5 for Houdini. Yes, Carlsen can draw at least 1 game.
Houdini crushed by a mere 2200 rated player :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1fVAALg7tc
Jhoravi

Post by Jhoravi »

It's very difficult even for a Super Grandmaster to win against a Strong engine these days but DRAWING should not be too difficult for them.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

George wrote:
rcmaddox wrote:
Adam Hair wrote:
This is probably on equal time control, but if houdini is given 45 seconds per move whereas Carlsen is allowed 45 minutes per move, Carlsen will beat Houdini with no takeback moves.
I think this is wrong, even though this is a vastly greater handicap than three takebacks. Even with ponder off, I would still bet on Houdini, Stockfish, or Komodo on 16 cores with a good book at these odds. Here is one small piece of evidence: early this year Komodo 5 (which was still single core) played a practice game with GM Walter Browne at odds of 30 minutes to one minute, no ponder, White pieces to Browne, and no opening book. Komodo still won the game; Browne pointed out that he could have reached a pawn down bishops of opposite color draw if he had more time. OK, Browne is not Carlsen, but this is an old single core Komodo with no book playing Black. The result of one game doesn't mean much, but I believe Komodo saw more in one minute total than Browne could see in 30. As for whether a super gm can draw pretty easily with the top 3 engines, I point out that Joel Benjamin, then about 2600 FIDE, managed only two draws in eight games getting the White pieces and draw odds on each game against Rybka 2.3 on a quad many years ago. Benjamin was not quite a super GM but today's top engines are a lot stronger than Rybka 2.3, the computers are far more powerful, and the books are better.
Maybe Carlsen might have fair chances at draw and White odds vs. the top 3 engines, but I'd still bet on the engine. Without draw and White odds, I'm not sure that even one takeback PER MOVE would be enough.
Perhaps we will host some Komodo vs GM matches at some handicaps, though of course our budget won't permit getting Carlsen.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

lkaufman wrote:Perhaps we will host some Komodo vs GM matches at some handicaps, though of course our budget won't permit getting Carlsen.
Aren't you a GM? Maybe you're too expensive, though...