New Fritz author?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: ChessBase or STASI ?

Post by Sylwy »

carldaman wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Pandritz would be a great name I assume :lol:

:wink:
... or Pandfrix 8-) :!: :roll:
...or PandTwix :lol:

Panderer would do. :lol:
Or simply call it Panda :lol: As far as I know, there is no other engine named after the black-and-white (!) bear.

Ailuropoda melanoleuca !

A bit of science , please ! :roll:

SilvianR :wink:
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

carldaman wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Matthias Gemuh wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Pandritz would be a great name I assume :lol:

... or Pandfrix 8-) :!: :roll:
...or PandTwix :lol:

Panderer would do. :lol:
Or simply call it Panda :lol: As far as I know, there is no other engine named after the black-and-white (!) bear.
Even better....Panda Strong as the famous medication name goes :lol:

_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Jhoravi

Post by Jhoravi »

Hi,

How about the Fritz 14 benchmark? Is it based on the new 64bit engine?

thanks
Charles Browne

Re: New Fritz author?

Post by Charles Browne »

A Distel wrote:I bought Deep Fritz 10 on DVD (got it yesterday)... and now I want to update the program for Deep "Fritz 10.1" is it possible?
http://speedy.sh/ZbhSc/Fritz-10-Updates.zip - uploaded to a free hoster, not sure how long the link will remain active.

I'm posting this as a reply to you Alain Distel but really I am just tossing this out to the ether and whoever may want it.

Included in the above zip file is the Deep Fritz 10 engine update as released by Chessbase and downloaded from their server.

Also included is the last released Fritz 10 GUI update file, as again downloaded from the Chessbase server. I am not sure now of the 'date' of that update file.

I purchased the regular Fritz 10 shortly after it was released and Deep Fritz 10 I got a couple years ago when I saw someone was selling it fairly cheap on ebay.

When I got Deep Fritz 10 I knew about the engine update but I didn't know if I should also apply the Fritz 10 GUI update to it or not; so I contacted ULY on the rybka forum and asked his advice, and he replied that he would apply the GUI update also. Makes perfect sense when one thinks about it.

There appears to be a procedure that needs to be followed when installing the GUI update and that procedure is included in the above zip file. I haven't had Fritz 10 or Deep Fritz 10 installed in a long time so I don't remember if I followed the 'procedure' or just double-clicked the msi file. If installing it, probably best to try installing the GUI update by the procedure.

Also included in the zip file are some forum posts I saved about five years ago. The forum posts will most likely not be of any interest to anyone, and to me now they probably wouldn't be of any interest either. They are included anyway.

Also included are copies of the below two blog pages. I never got around to checking the validity of the blogger's findings or to seeing if the GUI update fixed it or not.

http://keystor.blogspot.com/2006/12/fri ... oblem.html

http://keystor.blogspot.com/2006/12/upd ... oblem.html
A Distel

Post by A Distel »

Thank you for the help!
The road to chaos is filled with political correctness.
― Tadros
jdart

Re: Lesson number 2

Post by jdart »

Actually, I suspect a lot of Fritz users neither know, nor care, what engine is inside it. Chess engine enthusiasts such as are on this forum are a minority of chess software users.

--Jon
Charles Browne

Post by Charles Browne »

A Distel wrote:I bought Deep Fritz 10 on DVD (got it yesterday)... and now I want to update the program for Deep "Fritz 10.1" is it possible?

Just to let you know I installed Deep Fritz 10 to check out the two ways of manually applying the GUI (gui10.msi) update. After doing the Steve Lopez procedure way of updating the GUI I did an uninstall/clean reinstall of the Fritz program to check out the other way of updating the GUI, which was to double-click the gui10.msi file that I had put on the desktop.

In both cases the Fritz program needed to be closed before doing the update. If the Fritz program was running during the update a dialog box appeared telling that it needed to be closed.

Both the procedure way that Steve Lopez wrote about or just double-clicking the gui10.msi file from the desktop appear to work. The Steve Lopez way appears more professional in that when the updating was done the Fritz program's splash screen automatically opened up and a dialog box appeared declaring that the Internet Update was O.K.

Whereas when I just double-clicked the gui10.msi file and installed it that way nothing happened automatically when the updating was done and I had to manually start the Fritz program.

But in both of the above cases, after applying the update, in the "Help > About Deep Fritz 10" section of the Fritz menu, the date at the top of the dialog box read: May 20, 2007. Whereas after installing the Deep Fritz 10 program and before doing the update it had the date of Nov 16, 2006.

It isn't noted in that zip file I provided because I wasn't aware of it until doing the update test last night, but Steve Lopez wrote that 'procedure' way of manually updating the Fritz 10 GUI back when he was still using Windows ME.

My Windows XP didn't have that C:\Windows\Application Data\ChessBase\Updates folder that he wrote about. It took me a few seconds to realize that Steve Lopez was still using Windows ME at the time. To do the Steve Lopez procedure way of applying the GUI update, for me, the gui10.msi file needed to go in the C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\ChessBase\Updates folder and I did need to create the Updates folder in the ChessBase folder.

In that zip file I provided, the included "Updating Chessbase software.pdf" file did have this in reference to the gui10.msi file:

Pick your poison and if applying the Fritz 10 GUI update, do it your preferred way I guess.

By the way, sorry for Hijacking the thread and being off topic.