New Fritz author?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Albert Silver

Re: New Fritz author?

Post by Albert Silver »

Steve Maughan wrote:Hi Kai,
Laskos wrote:I happened before, though not obviously. Fritz 11 has nothing to do with Fritz 10 and Frans Morsch. It has to do with Yuri Osipov and Vas Rajlich.
Really? Or are you joking?

If it's true, it's news to me.

Steve
He is joking. Morsch was the developer until, and including, Fritz 13.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Sounded more like an accusation wrapped in irony to me.
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Albert Silver wrote:
Laskos wrote:I happened before, though not obviously. Fritz 11 has nothing to do with Fritz 10 and Frans Morsch. It has to do with Yuri Osipov and Vas Rajlich.

Steve
Actually, I own both Fritz v10 and v11. They are different like day and night.

Sure, Fritz 11 is visibly stronger, but the great style of Fritz 10, a landmark program that defeated WC Kramnik in 2006, was completely gone. Fritz 10 was/is one of the few programs capable of playing well in closed positions.

Regards,
CL
Steve Maughan

Post by Steve Maughan »

Hi Carl,

I have Fritz 10, 12 and 13 - so missed 11. I was also impressed by 10. It seemed to a good engine.

So what's Frans Morsch up to these days? I had thought he was one of the very few professional chess programmers left.

Anyone know?

Steve
http://www.chessprogramming.net - Maverick Chess Engine
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Steve Maughan wrote:Hi Carl,

I have Fritz 10, 12 and 13 - so missed 11. I was also impressed by 10. It seemed to a good engine.

So what's Frans Morsch up to these days? I had thought he was one of the very few professional chess programmers left.

Anyone know?

Steve
Hi Steve,

It is a good question. It seems to me that his involvement in the Fritz project actually diminished after the success he had with Fritz 10. Some people say that CB wanted to catch up to Rybka and 'remodeled' Fritz to play more like Rybka, and thus we got Fritz 11-13, stronger but unimpressive.

Right now he seems to be out of the picture completely, which raises some questions.
However intrigued I am by the Pandix engine [aka Fritz 14], I do have to wonder about Frans Morsch exiting thru the backdoor like this. :o

Carl
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

carldaman wrote:
Steve Maughan wrote:Hi Carl,

Anyone know?

Steve
Hi Steve,

It is a good question. It seems to me that his involvement in the Fritz project actually diminished after the success he had with Fritz 10. Some people say that CB wanted to catch up to Rybka and 'remodeled' Fritz to play more like Rybka, and thus we got Fritz 11-13, stronger but unimpressive.

Right now he seems to be out of the picture completely, which raises some questions.
However intrigued I am by the Pandix engine [aka Fritz 14], I do have to wonder about Frans Morsch exiting thru the backdoor like this. :o

Carl
There are no conspiracies. He is retiring of his own desire.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Thanks for clarifying, Albert. I did not know the details.

CL
A Distel

Post by A Distel »

carldaman wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:

Steve

Sure, Fritz 11 is visibly stronger, but the great style of Fritz 10, a landmark program that defeated WC Kramnik in 2006, was completely gone. Fritz 10 was/is one of the few programs capable of playing well in closed positions.

Regards,
CL
Closed positions... Fritz10 or Deep Fritz10?
The road to chaos is filled with political correctness.
― Tadros
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Post by Sylwy »

A Distel wrote:
carldaman wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:

Steve

Regards,
CL
Deep Fritz 10.1 (version: 10.1.0.0; date of the version: 03-03-2007; size: 913.408 bytes) !

This engine has great tactical skills !

Regards,
SilvianR :wink:
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Sylwy wrote:
A Distel wrote:
carldaman wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:

Steve

Regards,
CL
Deep Fritz 10.1 (version: 10.1.0.0; date of the version: 03-03-2007; size: 913.408 bytes) !

This engine has great tactical skills !

Regards,
SilvianR :wink:
Fully agreed....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….