Don Dailey

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

gordonr

Re: Don Dailey

Post by gordonr »

Very sad indeed. I'm lost for words.

Gordon
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

lkaufman wrote:Don Dailey, my partner in the Komodo venture, has been transferred to a palliative care unit in the hospital. His leukemia has progressed to the point of no return, and he probably has only days left to live. His wife Mary agreed that it was better to inform the community of this rather than to wait until he dies to say anything. Don is at least glad to hear that Komodo will probably be in the TCEC final; hopefully he will at least live long enough to see that become definite. Don is 57 years old; a full obituary will appear here at the appropriate time.
Komodo will continue as a partnership between me and Mark Lefler, with Mary Dailey receiving an equal share of the proceeds. I'm in the hospital myself now, but I should be going home tomorrow with no further trouble expected.

Larry Kaufman
At any rate, I feel devastated that it has come to a worse stage as i thought things were getting better.
I gave a couple of suggestions what to do and where to turn that may have saved him, a few weeks ago. But i recieved no acknowledgement of the PM i sent (but it WAS opened). I would have tried to push it more had i known that nothing else was being done, which i thought was the reason why he didn't seem to be taking it up what i suggested.

But i can WELL understand how a person in such a state could not turn his last energy into saving himself and that the last energy was needed to simply hang on.

I would recomend that anyone who has any health issue or even just feels his health declining even from aging, should take his health into hand whilst he still has enough health to do that much. No one else will do it for him, usually.

That is, if a person has some money, atleast has enough to get a computer and read about techniques and alternative treatments and supplements (but they must be safe too, not to overdose on toxic fillers etc. like magnesium stearate, stearic acid etc.), bodywork, excercise, bio treatrments. Perhaps the right cq 10, ecklonia cava, resveratrol, wheatgrass juice and other things, depending on the person and needs, diagnosed by great naturopath (but that is also a problem to know who to trust and ones own wisdom and research must be used not to get ripped off, and, to try to be aware if the practitioner has hit upon the right conclusions.
With general allopathic medicine its easier. The Physician doesn't need to be relied on for the patients health, rather just for the actual thing being treated, so one doesn't have to be under any imagination that an antibiotic might be healthy, because it is certainly NOT. All that needs to be known is that it will kill the disease that is being treated, and for protection of its ill effects ne needs to turn to a different kind of doctor alongside the general doctor. Every person needs to know, by the way, that you only need to be diplomatic, but not REALLY trust a doctor fully. It's a big art to go to doctors and turn out well.

OK, so Don couldn't respond to my pm's and i don't know if he would have done either, but he anyway probably couldn't. He only responded to one of my posts, with anger that i didn't realise that komodo was better than Houdini for atleast a year!

Wow! That was just TOO much! This was only a few days back! And it made me happy that it looked like he was full into things, but not as a swan song.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

tjfroh wrote:Dr. Deeb, You and I face death realistically. Don will be comforted by his friends as his health declines. If Don were Capablanca or Magnus Carlsen an endgame miracle would occur. It has been nice knowing Don Dailey and he will be missed.

Rexchess 2.3 regards,

TJF

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:I was afraid to read through the thread when I noticed it's title....

Palliative care means the endgame for Don unfortunately and I hope for the best when the end is near....
Dr.D
Exactly!
People are talking about sad "news". (notwithstanding the pain and affliction a person might be suffering which he may feel is even worse than death).

Even Mandella is still alive and aware and responding.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... WnpSGLx_pk
Last edited by S.Taylor on Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

S.Taylor wrote:
lkaufman wrote:Don Dailey, my partner in the Komodo venture, has been transferred to a palliative care unit in the hospital. His leukemia has progressed to the point of no return, and he probably has only days left to live. His wife Mary agreed that it was better to inform the community of this rather than to wait until he dies to say anything. Don is at least glad to hear that Komodo will probably be in the TCEC final; hopefully he will at least live long enough to see that become definite. Don is 57 years old; a full obituary will appear here at the appropriate time.
Komodo will continue as a partnership between me and Mark Lefler, with Mary Dailey receiving an equal share of the proceeds. I'm in the hospital myself now, but I should be going home tomorrow with no further trouble expected.

Larry Kaufman
At any rate, I feel devastated that it has come to a worse stage as i thought things were getting better.
I gave a couple of suggestions what to do and where to turn that may have saved him, a few weeks ago. But i recieved no acknowledgement of the PM i sent (but it WAS opened). I would have tried to push it more had i known that nothing else was being done, which i thought was the reason why he didn't seem to be taking it up what i suggested.

But i can WELL understand how a person in such a state could not turn his last energy into saving himself and that the last energy was needed to simply hang on.

I would recomend that anyone who has any health issue or even just feels his health declining even from aging, should take his health into hand whilst he still has enough health to do that much. No one else will do it for him, usually.

That is, if a person has some money, atleast has enough to get a computer and read about techniques and alternative treatments and supplements (but they must be safe too, not to overdose on toxic fillers etc. like magnesium stearate, stearic acid etc.), bodywork, excercise, bio treatrments. Perhaps the right cq 10, ecklonia cava, resveratrol, wheatgrass juice and other things, depending on the person and needs, diagnosed by great naturopath (but that is also a problem to know who to trust and ones own wisdom and research must be used not to get ripped off, and, to try to be aware if the practitioner has hit upon the right conclusions.
With general allopathic medicine its easier. The Physician doesn't need to be relied on for the patients health, rather just for the actual thing being treated, so one doesn't have to be under any imagination that an antibiotic might be healthy, because it is certainly NOT. All that needs to be known is that it will kill the disease that is being treated, and for protection of its ill effects ne needs to turn to a different kind of doctor alongside the general doctor. Every person needs to know, by the way, that you only need to be diplomatic, but not REALLY trust a doctor fully. It's a big art to go to doctors and turn out well.

OK, so Don couldn't respond to my pm's and i don't know if he would have done either, but he anyway probably couldn't. He only responded to one of my posts, with anger that i didn't realise that komodo was better than Houdini for atleast a year!

Wow! That was just TOO much! This was only a few days back! And it made me happy that it looked like he was full into things, but not as a swan song.
Don certainly researched fully his options and even took one of the things you mentioned (resveratrol, on my suggestion), but nothing helped. He was limited in what he could try by his religious beliefs which forbade blood transfusions, but that would probably only have given him a short extra time anyway. He was actively exploring bone marrow transplant, but he wasn't eligible for medical reasons. I don't think anything would have made a difference in the outcome.
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Larry Kaufman
I'm not a religious man by any stretch of the imagination, but I just said a prayer for him.

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

Blood transfusion is not a sin. He should consider taking one, even if it will only prolong his life. Nobody should die because Watchtower are misleading the masses with their blood policy by killing people by refusing them their right to take a blood transfusion in case their life depend on it.
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

[MODERATION]
This thread is not the place to debate anyone's religious beliefs (or lack of).

Adam, Julien, Miguel
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

lkaufman wrote: Don certainly researched fully his options and even took one of the things you mentioned (resveratrol, on my suggestion), but nothing helped. He was limited in what he could try by his religious beliefs which forbade blood transfusions, but that would probably only have given him a short extra time anyway. He was actively exploring bone marrow transplant, but he wasn't eligible for medical reasons. I don't think anything would have made a difference in the outcome.
Thanks for telling me!
However, for him, it is obvious that general supplements alone, even the best ones, were not enough. And i am still hoping that even at the last minute something will be found that will reverse him back to health. But i suppose the main problem is, "complication" in doing the right thing.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Peter Skinner wrote:

Larry Kaufman
I'm not a religious man by any stretch of the imagination, but I just said a prayer for him.

Peter
That's as good as ANY thing!
mcostalba

Post by mcostalba »

This is a terribly sad news. We all knew he was ill, but when this things happen is like a punch in the stomach.

Please send all my best to his family.