Don Dailey

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

lkaufman

Don Dailey

Post by lkaufman »

Don Dailey, my partner in the Komodo venture, has been transferred to a palliative care unit in the hospital. His leukemia has progressed to the point of no return, and he probably has only days left to live. His wife Mary agreed that it was better to inform the community of this rather than to wait until he dies to say anything. Don is at least glad to hear that Komodo will probably be in the TCEC final; hopefully he will at least live long enough to see that become definite. Don is 57 years old; a full obituary will appear here at the appropriate time.
Komodo will continue as a partnership between me and Mark Lefler, with Mary Dailey receiving an equal share of the proceeds. I'm in the hospital myself now, but I should be going home tomorrow with no further trouble expected.

Larry Kaufman
Robert Flesher

Re: Don Dailey

Post by Robert Flesher »

lkaufman wrote:Don Dailey, my partner in the Komodo venture, has been transferred to a palliative care unit in the hospital. His leukemia has progressed to the point of no return, and he probably has only days left to live. His wife Mary agreed that it was better to inform the community of this rather than to wait until he dies to say anything. Don is at least glad to hear that Komodo will probably be in the TCEC final; hopefully he will at least live long enough to see that become definite. Don is 57 years old; a full obituary will appear here at the appropriate time.
Komodo will continue as a partnership between me and Mark Lefler, with Mary Dailey receiving an equal share of the proceeds. I'm in the hospital myself now, but I should be going home tomorrow with no further trouble expected.

Larry Kaufman

I am very sorry to hear this dreadful news. Hoping for a miracle!
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

Sorry to hear about that. I hope Don recovers fully from his illness.
Ajedrecista

Re: Don Dailey.

Post by Ajedrecista »

Hello Larry:
lkaufman wrote:Don Dailey, my partner in the Komodo venture, has been transferred to a palliative care unit in the hospital. His leukemia has progressed to the point of no return, and he probably has only days left to live. His wife Mary agreed that it was better to inform the community of this rather than to wait until he dies to say anything. Don is at least glad to hear that Komodo will probably be in the TCEC final; hopefully he will at least live long enough to see that become definite. Don is 57 years old; a full obituary will appear here at the appropriate time.

Larry Kaufman
I knew that Don was ill but not that his death was so inminent... I expected at least one year more. :'( Very sad news indeed; I am sure that all CCC comunity will bring our best intentions to him.

Best wishes to his familily and for himself.

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

This is very, very sad news.

Thank you, Don, for providing us with Komodo, and for your many, many helpful (and interesting) posts.

Tears are filling my eyes ...
Last edited by zullil on Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brianr

Post by brianr »

Don is a special member of the computer chess community and has always had a lot of class. It has been a pleasure to watch the steady improvement of his engines as the years have gone by. Don is also a strong and willing collaborator, and he has been patient with those of us looking up. It has also been a privilege to contribute a nearly infinitesimal bit to Komodo testing.

Best wishes to those near and dear to him, and for your recovery Larry.
Warmest regards,
Brian (Tinker)
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

Good luck, hard to talk about anything.

Best of luck.
Jose.
IGarcia

Post by IGarcia »

I'm very sorry to hear that. As many, I was not aware his illness was so advanced. I like to apologize with Don as some times I was rude in some post, still I always appreciated his work.

We are what we left behind, and Komodo is a huge legacy for computer chess, where we will continue to feel Don, every time komodo move!

My best wishes.
Ignacio.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

I was afraid to read through the thread when I noticed it's title....

Palliative care means the endgame for Don unfortunately and I hope for the best when the end is near....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Thomas Lagershausen

Post by Thomas Lagershausen »

Thx Don for Komodo and Socrates.

You have made the world a special place.
TL