Don Dailey

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

fern

Re: Don Dailey - Some advice for posters

Post by fern »

That's truth, but lacking that address we hope that Larry K at least can say him, in general, how much we feel his situation. He does not need to know that, by example, me, feel lot of sorry, but he will know that many of us, in fact all of us, are with him as much as we can.

If I lived in US I would have do more, maybe going to the hospital, but I am a Chilean citizen, far away his bed.

Fern
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Don Dailey

Post by hgm »

I didn't know Don was ill at all, so this comes as a bolt from the blue to me. Terrible. I met Don in person a few years ago when Komodo participated in the Dutch Open Championship, and enjoyed it very much. I considered him one of the pilars of this forum, and always enjoyed reading his posts. My thoughts will be with him.
SuneF

Post by SuneF »

Oh no, that really breaks my heart.

Please accept my sincere condolences and deepest respect for his accomplishments with Komodo.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

SuneF wrote:Oh no, that really breaks my heart.

Please accept my sincere condolences and deepest respect for his accomplishments with Komodo.
That's exactly what i am saying.

You look like you have taken it a stage further!

Don is alive but unwell. And you are already saying "condolences"!
pilgrimdan

Post by pilgrimdan »

this was Don's state of mind about a month ago... (Oct 14th)

Fern asked how he was feeling...

and this is Don's reply...

"It's awkward updating my health on this forum, but basically I am on chemo, I feel pretty good at the moment and my blood levels are dropping but the doc feels that by next week they may start going up - if I responds to the chemo that is. I'm still pretty functional, but I get tired very easily. I am optimistic about the report which I got today."

sad... the chemo has ended up... not helping Don too much...

my thoughts and prayers are with you Don...

God bless...
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

I don't deny, maybe chemotherapy is sometimes a last resort and is so unhealthy that if it doesn't work, it might have been a shame it was used at all.
But never give up. Human life can sometimes transcend nature.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

bob wrote:It seems very unlikely that Don has access to CCC. Which means the best wishes from everyone won't be seen by him. It would be far better to dig up his address and send him a hand-written note expressing your sympathy, thanks, etc. From personal experience, those notes mean a lot to the recipient... Public sentiments will likely not be seen by him, unfortunately...
It's true that Don can no longer read things on the internet, so when I talk to him I try to summarize the comments of as many people as possible for him. So while he won't know everyone's words, he is aware of the many positive comments made here, and he appreciates them.
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

What sad news. Don is one of the all time greats in our little hobby, and I wish his family and friends well in this difficult time.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

I am sorry Don that you are in this situation. I still hope and looking forward for your recovery. Let me know how may I help you.
Rebel
Full name: Ed Schröder

Post by Rebel »

lkaufman wrote:
bob wrote:It seems very unlikely that Don has access to CCC. Which means the best wishes from everyone won't be seen by him. It would be far better to dig up his address and send him a hand-written note expressing your sympathy, thanks, etc. From personal experience, those notes mean a lot to the recipient... Public sentiments will likely not be seen by him, unfortunately...
It's true that Don can no longer read things on the internet, so when I talk to him I try to summarize the comments of as many people as possible for him. So while he won't know everyone's words, he is aware of the many positive comments made here, and he appreciates them.
I suppose if we know the address of the hospital and room number each of us can sent Don an e-card via regular mail.