Don Dailey

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Re: Don Dailey

Post by JuLieN »

pilgrimdan wrote:I trust Don goes to a better place...

this life can really suck...

I am 57 years old...

and for the last 2 years...

my life has been really miserable...

no desire to live much anymore...
Life can be tough, Dan, I know this first hand. But nothing is totally black. Where there's still life there's still hope. My experience is that things start to go much better when you stop living only for yourself and start living for the others as well. For instance, if you're a believer, go visit your local church and ask what you can do to help : churches always have missions like helping the poor or the sick, and so on. If you're not a believer, there are certainly equivalent associations. Then you'll recover some meaning in your life and will most probably also make friends.

@All:
sorry for the off-topic, but Dan's post needed an answer.
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
gladius
Full name: Gary Linscott

Post by gladius »

So sorry to hear about Don. Best wishes to everyone.
tttony

Post by tttony »

Oh man, it's sad to read this

I really hope that Don get better
Ron Murawski

Post by Ron Murawski »

This is painfully sad news. I think of Don as an inspirational person. Don's endless patience has always amazed me. Farewell, Don.

Ron
rabbits

Post by rabbits »

Commiserations Larry.
Allan
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Really sad news. Hope Don is in good spirits and that he will know that every time we see Komodo playing we will be thinking of him.
hieu

Post by hieu »

Very sad news. Don, thank you so much for your contributions to the community over many years.
Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Post by Werner »

lkaufman wrote:Don Dailey, my partner in the Komodo venture, has been transferred to a palliative care unit in the hospital. His leukemia has progressed to the point of no return, and he probably has only days left to live. His wife Mary agreed that it was better to inform the community of this rather than to wait until he dies to say anything. Don is at least glad to hear that Komodo will probably be in the TCEC final; hopefully he will at least live long enough to see that become definite. Don is 57 years old; a full obituary will appear here at the appropriate time.
Komodo will continue as a partnership between me and Mark Lefler, with Mary Dailey receiving an equal share of the proceeds. I'm in the hospital myself now, but I should be going home tomorrow with no further trouble expected.
Larry Kaufman
As I have no account in this forum I asked Werner to post this:

"Although I don't know Don personally, but i respect his work in the chess engine community.
I heard today about his health issues, really bad news. sad.
So, can you send in the topic there that I felt sad when I heard of his heath issues, and my best wishes for him and his family.

Ahmed Kamal"
jd1

Post by jd1 »

I'm really sad to hear this news. Don will be greatly missed, his contribution was immense.

Jerry
pilgrimdan

Post by pilgrimdan »

JuLieN wrote:
pilgrimdan wrote:I trust Don goes to a better place...

this life can really suck...

I am 57 years old...

and for the last 2 years...

my life has been really miserable...

no desire to live much anymore...
Life can be tough, Dan, I know this first hand. But nothing is totally black. Where there's still life there's still hope. My experience is that things start to go much better when you stop living only for yourself and start living for the others as well. For instance, if you're a believer, go visit your local church and ask what you can do to help : churches always have missions like helping the poor or the sick, and so on. If you're not a believer, there are certainly equivalent associations. Then you'll recover some meaning in your life and will most probably also make friends.

@All:
sorry for the off-topic, but Dan's post needed an answer.
I am a believer...

but sometimes God is a strange God...

but you are right about helping others...

the times I have done that...

has made life more bearable...