FIDE WCC thread question

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Graham Banks

Re: FIDE WCC thread question

Post by Graham Banks »

kgburcham wrote:Graham, if your going to move the picture posts, then you must move the OTB human match to Tournaments and Matches subforum. The low rated 2800 elo blunder filled games are not computer program related.
Lets be consistent. We should not police just based on our own personal self interest.
I agree, move the pictures and move the human match out of computer chess.
kgburcham
I am not a moderator, but as far as I can recall, whenever there has been a human world championship match, the mods of the time have always allowed some form of discussion in the main forum.

You guys seem to be missing the main point in all of this though. The reason that Ruxy's post was removed seems to be because he repeatedly posted in the wrong sub-forum and ignored mod requests not to do so.

The odd off-topic post has always been allowed here, but mods need to use their discretion, otherwise the main sub-forum would become cluttered with non computer-chess topics.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Dan Honeycutt

Post by Dan Honeycutt »

Henk wrote:I would choose a simple solution. Only allow posts which are strongly correlated to computer chess. There should be no doubt about it. In this way readers know what they can expect.
How about the development of a new processor that is quite a bit faster doing integer math. Is that correlated to computer chess? It would seem so as it could have substantial impact on program strength. Is it "strongly" correlated. You might say yes, I might say no.

You will never get universal agreement. That's why you should vote for moderators who you feel will exercise good judgment - that's what it ultimately comes down to.

Best
Dan H.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Dan Honeycutt wrote:
Henk wrote:I would choose a simple solution. Only allow posts which are strongly correlated to computer chess. There should be no doubt about it. In this way readers know what they can expect.
How about the development of a new processor that is quite a bit faster doing integer math. Is that correlated to computer chess? It would seem so as it could have substantial impact on program strength. Is it "strongly" correlated. You might say yes, I might say no.

You will never get universal agreement. That's why you should vote for moderators who you feel will exercise good judgment - that's what it ultimately comes down to.

Best
Dan H.
In case of any doubt it is a no, for there should be no doubt about it. Another solution : in case of doubt flip a coin. Then we can blame the coin, not the moderator.